Window motor removal

PostPost by: adigra » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:04 am

viper wrote:
billwill wrote:
adigra wrote:Just had the window frame out today to fix the cable. The window motor bolt which is being obstructed by the motor itself and can only be reached at an angle... Who thought that was a good idea?

Use a short L shaped screwdriver.
i.e one similar to an Allen key, but with a phillips/posidive end on it.

But it's a bolt, or have I missed something?

Haha, I think this is a matter of perspective. Technically it is a bolt, but one which screws into a nut welded to the frame, so, in effect, it functions more like a screw.

I have the L shaped screwdrivers, but they are too short to reach the obstructed screw/bolt, so I just used the thinnest, regular screwdriver I had and it worked fine. It just made me wonder what the workers at Lotus must've thought while they were assembling these cars on a daily basis.
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:39 am

I think viper has hex headed set screws in his motor mount rather than Philips headed fasteners

A "bolt" is a fastener with a machine screw thread designed to accept a nut ( unc / unf/ metric etc) and a plain section of shank. Technically I believe a "bolt" can have any type of head but it is normally applied to fasteners with hex heads or similar (12 point head, hex socket head etc)

A "set screw" is the same but has a full thread with no plain shank.

A "screw" is a looser term and is applied to bolts or set screws with slotted or Philips head and machine thread as well as the same things with no machine thread ( eg wood screws, sheet metal screws, self tapping screws etc)

No real correct answer but you do need to explain exactly what your talking about when it comes to fasteners :lol:

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: viper » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:40 am

I can understand placing a screw in its place once u put it back togetger but I can't get the obstructed bolt out as not only is it impossible to get a socket on buys fairly solid too.
viper
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: viper » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:44 am

Ok I have a hex headed threaded all the way metal fastener.

Is this not standard factory fit?
viper
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:46 am

someone put it in so must be a way to get it out. :?:

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: viper » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:14 am

Good point but I guess it's rusty now so not as willing to come out.
viper
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:05 pm

viper wrote:Ok I have a hex headed threaded all the way metal fastener.

Is this not standard factory fit?

My motors were mounted with 1/4 unc cheese headed set screws, I believe it to be how Lotus did it (although happy to be corrected)
Also a pic of how I repaired the frame with plates pop riveted on. I heard somewhere that the lower frame can be bought as a repair kit but presume it would have to be welded/brazed on ??
There is also a couple of pics of the brackets I used to support the motors and stop them flapping about when the door is slammed/closed...... just a "Z" bracket attached to the motor with a hose clamp and bolted to the fibreglass.
Attachments
motor screw 1.JPG and
motor screw.JPG and
motor frame.JPG and
motor bracket.JPG and
motor bracket 1.JPG and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:28 pm

types26/36 wrote:There is also a couple of pics of the brackets I used to support the motors and stop them flapping about when the door is slammed/closed...... just a "Z" bracket attached to the motor with a hose clamp and bolted to the fibreglass.

A nice solution! - They do flap about, don't they!
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:29 pm

AHM wrote:
types26/36 wrote:There is also a couple of pics of the brackets I used to support the motors and stop them flapping about when the door is slammed/closed...... just a "Z" bracket attached to the motor with a hose clamp and bolted to the fibreglass.

A nice solution! - They do flap about, don't they!

Ha, I use a couple of cable ties :D
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous