Window motor removal

PostPost by: viper » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:05 pm

I'm stuck

Motor not working and I can't get it out.

Assume there are just the 3 bolts. 1 is out, 1 is just spinning and the other I cant access because the motor is ith the way.

I'm particularly concerned about the spinning bolt as I assume there is a captive nut which has become un attached?
viper
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:26 pm

viper wrote:I assume there is a captive nut which has become un attached?

Yes, three bolts with captive nuts and the frame often cracks around the captive nut so it turns in the frame. The motor is only supported by these three bolts so the frame is prone to cracking at various places probably due to the motor vibrating when the door is slammed.
When I worked on my S3 I did a mod to support the motors which also stops the motor vibrating when the door is closed/slammed.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: viper » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:38 pm

OK Thanks

Do you think I will need to cut the frame to get the motor off.....I can see me cutting a hole in the outside of the door at this rate :cry: :cry:
viper
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:47 pm

viper wrote:...I can see me cutting a hole in the outside of the door at this rate :cry: :cry:

Err....that sounds a bit drastic.....you could try forcing a screwdriver between the motor bracket and the frame to put tension on the nut so maybe it would hold while you unscrewed the bolt.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:53 pm

I vaguely remember having a similalr problem many years ago. I cant remember for sure how I got the bolts out but I think if you get the glass up and out of the way then you can get something down into the door to hold the captive nuts and then remove the bolts. i may have also removed the window frame securing bolts so the frame was loose in the door.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:11 am

Would another option be to use a Dremel with a little grinding wheel and simply grind the head off the bolt?

It sounds like it would take forever, but I never fail to be amazed how quickly a Dremel can do this sort of thing. You should probably cover the motor with some plastic to keep filings out of it.

Nick
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: viper » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:24 am

I'll have a closer look when I'm feeling more patient.

Thanks for you advice.

There's not much room in the door....can the window frame and glass be removed without the motor being removed first. I'm assume cables would run through a gearbox on the motor
viper
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:52 am

viper wrote:..can the window frame and glass be removed without the motor being removed first. I'm assume cables would run through a gearbox on the motor

No the motor has to be removed first, as the frame and widow goes up through the door and the motor would not go up.
The motor has a two pole drive that just drives the cable spool, it just pushes on to the spool.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:44 am

I've had the same problem in the past and had to drill the head of the bolt off. As long as it's not the one under the motor it's not too bad. The motor just pulls off the frame when the bolts are removed and there are a few wires that need to be unplugged.

If you need to take the frame out to repair the captive nut you'll think drilling the bolt out was the easy bit when you come to fiddling with the lock mechanism.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:48 am

Here are a couple of pics showing the motor with the two pole drive and the spool that the poles fit into.
Attachments
S3 DOOR WINDOWS 003 (2).JPG and
S3 WINDOWS 006.JPG and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:00 am

I had exactly this problem quite recently and just drilled through the bolt heads. The captive nuts escaped so, in their place, I put in 3 short bolts the other way round, facing out, with thin nuts securing them. Replacing the motor was simply sliding the holes in the mounting plate over these, effectively now, studs.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: viper » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:12 pm

Thanks Guys

Great help ....especially the pics.

Drilling off the bolt heads sound favourite
viper
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: adigra » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:35 pm

Just had the window frame out today to fix the cable. The window motor bolt which is being obstructed by the motor itself and can only be reached at an angle... Who thought that was a good idea?
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:51 pm

adigra wrote:Just had the window frame out today to fix the cable. The window motor bolt which is being obstructed by the motor itself and can only be reached at an angle... Who thought that was a good idea?

Use a short L shaped screwdriver.
i.e one similar to an Allen key, but with a phillips/posidive end on it.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: viper » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:17 am

billwill wrote:
adigra wrote:Just had the window frame out today to fix the cable. The window motor bolt which is being obstructed by the motor itself and can only be reached at an angle... Who thought that was a good idea?

Use a short L shaped screwdriver.
i.e one similar to an Allen key, but with a phillips/posidive end on it.

But it's a bolt, or have I missed something?
viper
First Gear
First Gear

Next

Total Online: