Heater Fan Motor

PostPost by: Julian » Fri May 16, 2014 12:34 pm

Hi All,

I have been stripping out my +2 shell ready for some restoration work and I have removed the heater unit with the fan and heat exchanger. The motor works when connected to a 12v supply, however I dont want to rebuild the dash to find the motor packs up after a few weeks and have to strip it all out again. Is there a modern replacement or are these motors rebuildable/ servicable etc? The same applies to the heat exchanger.

Thanks
Julian
New-tral

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Fri May 16, 2014 4:51 pm

Salut Julian

Don't know about the fan motor but apparently the Ford Fiesta Mk1 heater element drops in. I certainly hope so because I bought one for mine. Might be able to tell you in a few days.

The fragile part is where the inlet/outlet tubes are soldered to the matrix - that's where mine failed after an over-enthusiastic mechanic wiggled them too much changing the hose. Well, I guess the solder joint must have been weak already, and access is really difficult?

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sat May 17, 2014 11:58 am

My heater fan motor in my S3 was replaced by a firm during body repairs back in 2001, but their auto electrician was not a bright spark.

The motor he installed was a two speed motor, (as I'm fairly sure the original was.) It did not need a dropper resistor but had/has two speed working inside. Unfortunately the dim sparks wired up only one speed and furthermore clipped off the surplus wire too close to the body of the motor to solder on or clip on an extension wire!

:( :(
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: DavidLB » Sun May 18, 2014 8:11 pm

there is a place in oxford that supplies a motor that will fit, the shaft has o shortened then it fits straight on, Tke cre diassembling the old fan as the shaft fitting is tricky and easily damaged
DavidLB
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Julian » Mon May 19, 2014 11:33 am

Thank you gentlemen,

i would be pleased to know if the heater matrix from a Fiesta fits.

Thanks again

Julian
Julian
New-tral

PostPost by: jeff jackson » Tue May 20, 2014 8:43 pm

Hi Julian,
I have heard that the fiesta unit fits in. either way it might pay you to see if you can get the brushes out and check that they are not worn down to the wires. I'm sure that the amount of use the fan actually gets, then new brushes hopefully will see it last a life time.
Good luck!
Kind regards
Jeff 72+2
jeff jackson
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Julian » Thu May 29, 2014 11:12 am

Thanks Jeff

I will give that a go.

Julian
Julian
New-tral

PostPost by: crypto » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:24 pm

Picking up an old thread ...

I replaced the brushes of my fan motor in my Sprint. The motor runs now but the next problem are the bronze bearings. Depending on speed and position the fan whines. Heater fan motor and radiator fan motor are not interchangeable (different axle and speed). My questions is:

Has anyone found a better replacement part or solution ?
Whats the fan speed (rpm) at 12V ? Are there suitable roller bearings ?

Thanks Peter
crypto
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: William2 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:07 am

I am of the opinion that these motors generally last well without causing problems.
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: