Battery cut off switches

PostPost by: jono » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:08 pm

Well, I've just ordered a remote battery brain direct from the supplier by calling them on the phone. They are in stock and cost ?89.99 + ?6 p&P in the UK. Being posted out today.

Okay, this is quite a lot of dosh for a relay unit but what price piece of mind? I have spent hundreds of hours and a quite considerable amount of my hard earned in building my car so ?90 seems a good price to have such a safeguard which also doubles as an anti theft device.

What prompted me to bite the bullet was I drove my Plus 2 home last night and was parking it when there was a strange 'hot' smell from behind the dash - the trip set cable for the speedo was red hot and the battery gauage had dropped right down - obviously a short somewhere after all my fiddling to get the speedo cable in. :shock:

My immediate thought was to kill the battery but I fumbled for what seemed to be ages in the dark trying to get a spanner on the terminal, which was stuck. I eventually removed it and no harm done :oops:

My worst fear is a car fire or an igniting wiring harness. This made up my mind very easily.

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:20 pm

As I have mentioned on this site before, many years ago I had the voltage regulator stick closed which burnt out the generator, starter motor & all the wiring in the engine bay. Whenever I stop now I always disconnect the battery with the remote for the battery brain, what price peace of mind!
Keith Marshall
69 S4 SE DHC RHD Original owner
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:49 am

Keith, Im in burlington for a couple of days, I was going to pop round and see you?
send me a text if this is ok!

1 760 277 7153

James
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Thu May 15, 2014 10:31 am

I received my Battery Brain and it's brilliant - really impressed by the quality and professional feel of the device and was only a 5 minute fit.

It provides me with huge peace of mind - a simply click on the plipper and you know that all power is off. For info I obtained mine on overnight delivery from:

Dextera Uk Ltd, 6 Station Rd, Coleshill, B46 1HT, tel 01675 465 191 | [email protected]

They actually call it a 'Sure Start' now but it's the same device. Quite a lot of money at ?96 delivered but that's only the price of a new battery and for peace of mind/convenience very much worth it in my view.

Jon :D
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: