LED headlights?

PostPost by: JJDraper » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:30 am

I use high power LEDs for rear/brake lights & dash. Tried some for sidelights but didn't like the bluish light & they were not robust - too cheap I suspect! I use LED GU10s in the house & endorse the use of specifying warm white and using best quality units, not cheap, no name bulbs. The rear bulbs were expensive (15 quid a pair?), but are much brighter than the standard bulbs and the brake light comes on instantly. Having been rear-ended in the +2 this means a lot to me! They have been in there for 5-6 years with no problems. Not sure about the legality though... no kitemark.

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:14 pm

I find the instant extinguishing of LEDs disorientating when used in brake lamps and turn signals; I guess I'll have to get used to them and they certainly betray themselves if used on classic cars, never mind the colour of the static lights.

Positive earth polarity isn't a problem on the front lamps as they can be wired in reverse individually and real bulbs won't mind. 2 Watts per bulb is a 90% saving of battery power but the $25 hurts.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:47 am

Quart Meg Miles wrote:I find the instant extinguishing of LEDs disorientating when used in brake lamps and turn signals; I guess I'll have to get used to them and they certainly betray themselves if used on classic cars,

I wonder if one could fit capacitors across them to replicate incandescence??

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:24 pm

john.p.clegg wrote:
I wonder if one could fit capacitors across [the LEDs] to replicate incandescence??

John :wink:

Yes, 2000-4000 uF at 16V in parallel would provide around quarter second turning off (with a pair of 160 mA LEDs) and they are cheap, about 50p/1$US. Surge current at switch on shouldn't be a problem. Anyone got a modern car to try it on?
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: