New generation battery chargers

PostPost by: oldchieft » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:41 pm

Hi
My old Halfords battery chargers have packed up, one cooked a battery dry.

I replaced it with one I saw in Clas Ohlson.

IMG_1093.jpg and
Charger

The manual is sketchy, but there is a function for reconditioning batteries, it takes about 24 hours for a normal size battery.

Can anyone explain how this works and what it does?

Jon the Chief
oldchieft
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:13 am

I use Ctek battery chargers which are similar smart chargers that have a number of modes and adjust the charging mode automatically depending on time and how the battery responds to voltage and current.

They have a recon mode where they have a specific series of voltage and current steps that aim to remove deposits ( sulphate) that builds up on the electrodes and is one cause of battery failure. Don't know how well the recon mode works as I have not had a battery problem since I got the Ctek chargers

Look at the manuals on the Ctek web site for some more information

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Rozzer » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:37 am

+1 for cTek - I use them on both regular lead acid and lightweight NiMH types, and they are excellent - no idea how they do it, but they are even able to balance the NiMH battery...highly recommend them! Oh, and you can get an accessory which indicates the state of charge of your battery too.
Ashton
1954 Healey 100 (Gidget)
1958 Series 2 Land Rover
1962 Lotus Elite S2 #1591
1964 Lotus Elan S1.5 26/4177
1998 Lotus Elise S1
2003 Mini Cooper S R53
2013 BMW 118d Conv
If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space
Rozzer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:27 am

I got fed up having to replace my battery after winter storage and fitted an optimate in the garage and it's left plugged in to the cigar lighter socket whenever she's stationary.....love it..

http://www.optimate.co.uk/

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: diablo » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:01 am

I have NiMh batteries on my motobikes , the supplier tell they must not be charged with charger doing charge/discharge cyclus ( like accumate , optimate or C.tech ) . I have a special charger with a multiplug connector which equilibrates the different elements and have a "store" mode .
Diablo
diablo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: oldchieft » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:17 pm

Ok thanks for the input, i have looked at the ctek site, the is no dealer listed near me.

But at ?64.99 the Clas Ohlson seems a good deal

Jon the Chief
oldchieft
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:36 pm

Back in 2007 Club Lotus had Accumate in the Club Shop for ?37.95 - see: http://content.yudu.com/Library/A1tnz8/ ... ces/35.htm

might be worth a call to see if they still have any and at what price.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:54 am

oldchieft wrote:Can anyone explain how this works and what it does?

Having read almost everything there is to read abbot desulphating, and built a desulphater...

As the battery discharges lead and sulphuric acid form lead sulphate crystals these are more difficult to convert back to lead and sulphuric acid than simply recharging, so the sulphate crystals grow and the battery gradually dies. If a battery is left for a long time it self discharges and the crystals grow more.

A desulphater is a circuit that puts lots of high voltage spikes through the battery. There are two theories as to how it works
1. It creates resonance which causes the crystals disintegrate .... (and pigs to fly)
2. The elevated voltage provides more favourable conditions for the crystals to dissolve. The high voltage is similar to over-charging - Many people argue that this is more readily achieved by using a really cheap charger in controlled conditions (keep your old Halfords one!)

Having extensively tested my expensive charger and built a separate desulphater I give it a full 1 out of 10... well maybe a 1/2 out of 10, and it gets that for giving a glimmer of false hope before the inevitable expense of a new battery.

Right up there with extra ZDDP in oil, and waterless coolant!

Keeping batteries charged using a float charger is definitely good (stops the crystals from forming) and multi stage charging does what it says on the tin.
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: