Headlamp flashers

PostPost by: bloodknock » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:01 pm

I know that there has been much discussion on this subject but can someone please tell me the cirumstances and sequence of what should happen?
I'm assuming that in day light, the vac valve is pulled and that lights pop up and flash a couple of times, but operate normally full on at night through the light switch. What is the mark space of the flash?
Thanks
Bob
I've got a deadline, at 73, I want to finish it before I die!
bloodknock
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: l10tus » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:50 pm

Bob,

Although a relative newcomer here, I've "done time" regards the Headlamp flasher issues on my S4, so feel confident enough to post a reply, to hopefully assist you.

I am informed that the Headlights should flash continuously (indefinitely), when the Vac Knob is activated / pulled out, - but only if this Is done without switching the rocker light switch on.

With the Light Switch Rocker on and the Vac knob pulled out, the lights should lift up and switch on, then when the Vac knob is pushed in, the lights should retract and switch off, once tucked away.

If you ensure the micro switches, flasher, R6 relay and wiring circuits are correctly installed, it will all work !

I believe a lot of "modifications" took place in the past, by frustrated repairers, in removing micro switches, etc. in an attempt to resolve the flashing issues and get the lights to just work, which resulted in the micro switches getting a bad name!

It's use was as a 'get out of my way' signal to other Motorway overtaking lane drivers, but apparently is not approved for use nowadays!

The wiring diagram is incorrect in the Manual, Alex Black suggested the correct wiring layout when he gave assistance to me, after many, many hours, of trying to get them working, as originally designed.

All the necessary items required to enable them to work properly are readily available, with no need for special flashers, Relays, or wires.

I managed to get mine to work exactly as original, flashing constantly when operated by the Vac knob alone, and normally when used with the Rocker Switch.

If you need the revised wiring diagram or any further information please PM me, only too happy to help!

Trust this is of some use,

Regards,

Phil.
Philip.

UK '72 Sprint DHC

Sometimes my Lotus makes me cry.
l10tus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bloodknock » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:20 pm

Hello Phil,
thats all most reassuring. Ive not yet started to install the wiring in my Sprint and was trying to get all the GEN before I start. You said that the diagram in the manual is correct, yet you talked of sending me revised wiring diagram? am I missing something?
Regards
Bob
bloodknock
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:34 pm

I was given some really good advice regarding flashing headlights... so I'll pass it on.

If your car is MOT'd, on the road, and you've nothing else to do, then make them work if you feel like it.

I haven't got around to it yet! But then my car isn't yet MOT'd or on the road!
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:07 pm

bloodknock wrote:Hello Phil,
thats all most reassuring. Ive not yet started to install the wiring in my Sprint and was trying to get all the GEN before I start. You said that the diagram in the manual is correct, yet you talked of sending me revised wiring diagram? am I missing something?
Regards
Bob

He wrote "The wiring diagram is INcorrect in the manual", which may be the case for the S4 but the S1/S2 diagram is correct and a damn sight easier to read. In fact it is a circuit diagram rather than a wireman's diagram.

The description of operation is correct and I disconnected mine almost immediately.

DID YOU KNOW that the dip switch, left hand stalk, is a three position type (on the early cars anyway) with the third position blocked off with a piece of wood! If you take the piece of wood out then you can use that position for lamps OFF when the lamp switch is ON and the pods UP, useful for dynamo cars in traffic queues though
I've used the third position to produce DIM headlights for town driving (using a heavy relay to connect the dipped beam filaments in series).
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bloodknock » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:43 am

Hello Phil, Meg
There you go, thats what happens when tempus fugits, brain gone eyesight following rapidly! Reread your post Phil, can you send me the corrections to the cct diagram please?
Gotta get this spaghetti sorted.
Regards
Bob
bloodknock
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: