MGB Headlamps

PostPost by: William2 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:51 pm

Can anyone confirm whether MGB headlight assemblies including rubber gaskets, etc are the same as those fitted to UK Elans?
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:01 pm

I fitted MGB chrome trim rings to the original Elan headlight assemblies many years ago so I have always thought they are the same

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Panda » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:33 am

I fitted MGB rubber gaskets to my old Elan and they were identical to the original Elan gaskets.

Alan P
Panda
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:48 am

The Lucas 7 inch headlamp was a standard fitting on many of the British cars of the 60s and 70s. I own an MGB as well as the Lotus, and the lamp components are identical.

Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:00 am

I think that I once read somewhere that there is a difference in the chrome trim rings,
Apparently the ones used on the Elan have a flatter profile i.e. less bulbous in shape.
I think that this flatter profile facilitates assembly & removal from the headlamp because the space between the trim ring & the headlamp pod is very limited at the bottom where you need to get a flat metal hook into in order to remove that ring.

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:32 am

John, that's interesting. Mine are, I believe, bulbous and very difficult to remove. What do you have on yours?
Perhaps a new thread is needed here. Pics anyone?

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:44 am

gjz30075 wrote:John, that's interesting. Mine are, I believe, bulbous and very difficult to remove. What do you have on yours?
Perhaps a new thread is needed here. Pics anyone?

Greg Z

I have never needed to buy replacement headlamp trims & have the ones that were on the car when I bought it very second hand. For that reason I cannot say if they are original equipment or not.
Nevertheless they are most certainly not the easiest things to remove or re-fit :roll:

I'm trying to think how a photo would help here unless someone has the different types to put side by side as a direct comparison.
A section cut through the actual parts would provide a definitive description; any volunteers :lol: :roll:

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:52 am

When I replace mine back in about 1975, one was missing and the other corroded. As far as I can recall back then the MBG ones I got were identical to the corroded one I replaced. And yes they are both very tight fits at the bottom.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jaybee » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:06 pm

When I bought my +2 the headlight trims were missing so I purchased some from flea bay MGB type but can't seem to get them fully on and one does jam on the bottom of the headlamp pod aperture perhaps it's just an adjustment thing. John
Jaybee
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: