Starter dead

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:48 am

Whether its the wire or not that was smoking and what the wire does is all interesting but I would certainly not have a wire swinging in the breeze that close to the exhaust headers. If the insulation has not yet been cooked and made brittle by the heat off the headers it soon will be. Tie it off so it cant move and touch the headers and put a heat shield around it if it truly needs to run that close to the headers.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:38 am

Sounds like it might be simpler to just buy and fit a brand new loom.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: LoTex » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:47 pm

Rohan,

I wish that was the only wire that seems to have gone astray...

After more than 30 years of ownership by me it looks like the previous owner's modifications are taking their toll. Roger French will be coming over to tie up the loose ends so I'm sure he'll take care of that one as well.

Steve
LoTex
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: LoTex » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:40 pm

Final progress report-

What initially started out as a dead starter evolved into a fairly complete electricals diagnostic/repair workover. Roger French came over again this weekend and spent another 6 hours (12 total!) going over the car and fixing the remaining wiring problems on my S2.

In all we replaced the solenoid, ignition, and fuse box; repaired numerous frayed wires and poor connectors, both live and ground wires. A previous owner's rewiring efforts in adding two gauges and a radio eventually caused problems and had to be sorted. Some wires that were in harm's way have been fixed more securely and moved to less exposed positions. All in all a lot of work and I can't thank Roger enough!http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/posting.php?mode=reply&f=38&t=29235#

Thanks again to all of you on the forum who made suggestions and stayed with us as we traced through the mess and made the needed fixes.

Steve

1965 Elan S2 #4221
LoTex
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:50 am

Thank you Steve, but I can assure you that I get great satisfaction putting things right. You have a nice car that deserves attention.
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: