Battery Repositioned-S1-S2.

PostPost by: ceejay » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:19 am

Repositioned battery location for the S1-S2. More room in the boot (Trunk), safe & secure.
http://elantrikbits.com/lotus-elan-blog ... s1-2-elan/
ceejay.
ceejay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: AlfaLofa » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:39 am

I didn't realize that S1s were supposed to have 2 x 6v batteries.

Perhaps the very early cars were originally fitted with a pair of 6v batteries?

As far as I am aware my car has only ever had a single battery (with appropriate cabling) behind the LH seat.
Steve
'64 S1 Elan (Owned since '73)
'69 Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider Veloce (Owned since '77)
'70 Morris Minor 1000 (Owned since '85)
AlfaLofa
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ceejay » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:16 am

The body on my elan S2 "had" a battery box/recess behind each seat, but they were
removed during the rebuild.
ceejay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tcsoar » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:16 pm

Hi,

Quote from your link

'I don?t know about you, but the inside of the cockpit is no place for a lead acid battery, covered or not.'

My son had an A class merc for a while, battery went flat and I spent ages trying to find the bugger, had to resort to reading the owners manual :evil:

Anyway, it was neatly tucked away in a hole under the drivers feet :shock: , lift up the carpet, twist the little lock and lift the metal flap and there it was, all shiny and with no protection on either post.

Chris.
tcsoar
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: AlfaLofa » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:50 pm

My S1 Workshop Manual (Part # 26T327) says on page A5:

"Battery 12-volt. 57 amp./hour Positive Earth, located in accessible position behind rear of left hand seat".

I have no idea when the manual was published - but must have been before 1964.
Last edited by AlfaLofa on Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
AlfaLofa
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mazlot » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:29 pm

I didn't realize that S1s were supposed to have 2 x 6v batteries.

Here in Australia, they didn't have two batteries, at least not in the early cars anyway.

Another internet "truth" perhaps :lol:
mazlot
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Maulden7 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:29 am

My UK S2 clearly only had a single battery (located behind the passenger seat) as original.

I moved the battery position into the boot (as in the initial post) many years ago.
Maulden7
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: cbguerrajr » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:16 pm

is it really safer to put the battery in the trunk (boot)? in a small closed space with a gasoline tank?
haven't we all seen the tiny sparks when connecting battery chargers and the like?
in my S2 I was always afraid of fumes build up in the closed trunk. so even though the battery was switched from its original location to the trunk, it is back behind the passenger seat.
you can't win.

carlos g.
cbguerrajr
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: AlfaLofa » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:52 pm

Very good point Carlos.

My battery is staying put - in its original position.
Steve
AlfaLofa
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Maulden7 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:02 pm

So how many Elans have an electric fuel pump located in the boot then?

Lots I would suggest, & imo there is far more risk of a spark from that than anything related to the battery?

Also, don't all the later Elans & +2's have the battery in the boot as standard anyway?
Maulden7
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Jeff@Jae » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:49 pm

I have never seen 2x 6V batteries in an Elan. I think the whole idea was to have a single 12V behind the passenger seat and therefore two wells so that can happen on a LHD or RHD Elan. With the original battery cover bolted down I can't see the battery getting away on the S1/S2 cars and the weight placement is ideal. If one installs a roll over bar then the battery must be moved to the boot and the illustrated position is the best bet. If I was to install a roll bar and have to move the battery to the boot (S2) I would use a little Odyssey battery there. The worst location was the poorly mounted S3/S4 position.
Jeff@Jae
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:26 pm

Mine is fine behind the LH seat though I changed the lid fixing to studs and wing nuts after the bobbins corroded. It can even be used a seat though possibly not legally nowadays.

Does anyone know why the battery is on the LH side when the major attachment is to the starter button on the RH side of the scuttle?

Is it the same on the LH drive cars?

And, on a similar theme, why does the rear lamps loom emerge on the LH side of the boot, pass across the front of the boot and then continue down the RH side before reaching the lamps and passing back to the LH set? (I think I asked that before, apologies but don't remember any reply)
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: