Solenoid to Battery cable routing - Elan Sprint FHC

PostPost by: bloodknock » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:00 am

Hello Folks
Onwards and upwards.....Still preparing my chassis for body mating, and am now pondering the exact and correct routing of some parts.
(1) Battery to solenoid cable: Should this run through the chassis? or through the body? How is it retained in either situ?
(2) Fuel line: Where does it run?
(3) Is the transmission tunnel chassis pad the only soft buffer for the body shell to sit on?

Thanks
Bob Skerritt
I've got a deadline, at 73, I want to finish it before I die!
bloodknock
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: peterexpart » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:56 pm

Assuming RHD ! The battery cable comes in over the NS Shock mount and is tied to the inside of the side lattice up to the passenger foot well then through the bulkhead.
The Fuel Line runs between the Body and the Chassis at the rear and is then clipped to the side of the chassis before entering the engine bay just below the Fuel pump.
At least that is how my S4 is
PeterExpart
New Forest National Park
Hampshire UK
peterexpart
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:28 am

I agree with PeterExpart on the routing of the battery cable although mine is not tied to the lattice it just lays loose. The rear wiring loom and the radio aeriel cable take the same route.

A bit more info on the fuel line.....from the fuel pump it is clipped to the underside of the crossmember above the gearbox and then runs inside the chassis backbone, entering and leaving through holes in the upper RH corner of the tunnel end plates. There is another clip about half way along in the top of the tunnel. It then passes over the diff crossmember and through the boot floor to the fuel tank.

Fuel pipe front clip.JPG and
Fuel pipe clip rear.JPG and
Fuel line routing.JPG and

There is just the one felt "saddle" between the body and chassis. As mentioned in another thread recently you may need metal packers at some of the mounting bolt locations both to ensure that the bonnet clears the rocker cover and just to take up any clearances - don't just close up any gaps by tightening the bolts or you will stress the fibreglass and may pull out the bobbins. If you have a new chassis that needs to be drilled and tapped for the mounting bolts check the bonnet clearance before you drill the front uprights. If you are reusing the original chassis this won't apply.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:25 pm

Bob,
As said. From the boot, over the L/H rear turret and along the lattice to the L/H footwell. I tied mine with zip-ties. If you are thinking of putting a battery cutoff switch in the circuit, a good place to mount it would be somewhere along the L/H side lattice poking through the side panel. Reachable at a stretch from the driver's side.
I used a closed cell, 13mm (1/2 inch) foam for the saddle. Will not absorb water as the felt does.
Also, the differential top mounts require a foam surround around each mount to exclude water and debris from the boot. Just a square piece as big as the rear cross-member (fore and aft, see Roger's last photo) with a cut-out in the same shape as the top mount (this allows for future replacement) and glued into place. This should be a softer closed cell foam so that it does not prevent the body from settling down as it should.
Regards,
Colin.
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bloodknock » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:27 pm

Great.
Thanks Guys.
Bob
I've got a deadline, at 73, I want to finish it before I die!
bloodknock
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: