Panel Lights Not Working

PostPost by: johns » Sun May 19, 2013 4:08 pm

The instrument lights on my 1970 +2S (8 dial dash with ashtray in centre) have stopped working although the ones in the door ashtrays do still work and the Panel switch still works OK for these and the interior lights. I have tried applying 12v direct to the lighting circuit and they work so I know the issue is most likely the wire from the switch to the first bulb in the circuit. Based on the original loom (PO repaired the loom when he restored the car rather than replacing it as he wanted to keep it as original as possible) which instrument bulb is the first one in the circuit after the panel switch (location rather than function)? If I can avoid removing the dash to sort the problem I would prefer it! Thanks
johns
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun May 19, 2013 9:33 pm

Problems of this type are usually due to a poor or missing connection in the earth wire (black), because our wood & fibreglass cars do not conduct electricity like metal cars.

The main general answer to all electric failures like this is buy a multi-meter and check the voltage to chassis from every point that you can reach on the circuit.

A probe with a needle point is handy as you can jab it through the insulation into the wire inside.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Mon May 20, 2013 12:40 am

Hi John,

Maybe this, created by our Man in the Forest, will help. It is however for the S/130 but may be similar for the S:

Robbie
Attachments
Dash Wiring J.jpg and
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: johns » Mon May 20, 2013 9:23 am

Robbie693 wrote:Hi John,

Maybe this, created by our Man in the Forest, will help. It is however for the S/130 but may be similar for the S:

Robbie

Robbie, many thanks that is really helpful, I am assuming that the RHD will simply be a mirror of this.
johns
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: johns » Mon May 20, 2013 9:26 am

billwill wrote:Problems of this type are usually due to a poor or missing connection in the earth wire (black), because our wood & fibreglass cars do not conduct electricity like metal cars.

The main general answer to all electric failures like this is buy a multi-meter and check the voltage to chassis from every point that you can reach on the circuit.

A probe with a needle point is handy as you can jab it through the insulation into the wire inside.

Hi Bill, Done that, earth seems OK because if I apply 12v to the circuit it all works so the problem seems to be between the switch and the first bulb in the circuit.
johns
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Mon May 20, 2013 1:33 pm

johns wrote:
Robbie693 wrote:Hi John,

Robbie

Robbie, many thanks that is really helpful, I am assuming that the RHD will simply be a mirror of this.

Hi John,

Glad to help, thanks should go to Mark as it's his diagram :D , it is for RHD - just that the view is from the back

Hope you get it fixed

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Mon May 20, 2013 5:42 pm

Due to the nice 3rd world....or rather worse than anything I've encountered in the 3rd World.....roads here my dash lights regularly go.

Inevitably it is the earth for the panel lights.

This is through the light bulb on the Tacho.
Bumpy roads lead to that light fitting falling out from the tacho on my +2.

I simply push the fitting back in and hey presto.....for another few weeks :)

(Apologies if you've tried this already)

Peter
I is an Inginear....please excuse my speeling!
'73 +2S 130/5
Scimitar GTE for the lazy days, 3008, Some bicycles, Wife, Kids, Cats, Dogs....chickens....cluck cluck...one duck...the others flew away!
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: