Dynamo

PostPost by: AnthonyBelcher » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:17 pm

I know I know I know I should upgrade to an alternator but I want to keep my dynamo or should I say a dynamo as mine has had its day.

I have found these new dynamos on eBay that state that they replace the Lucas C40 and have an output of 35 volts at a price of around ?80.00 including postage.

I have read the archives and seen the Dynalite alternator in the clothes of a C40 body but these are now at around ?450 including VAT which is way way too expensive.

The eBay one's sold by London & Essex Auto Electrics limited. Has anybody heard of them or even bought one of their dynamos?

The link to eBay is:-

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewit ... 2281430341

I look forward to any comments you may have.
Regards
Anthony
Anthony Belcher.
Warwick, England.

'They call me baby driver and once upon a pair of wheels I hit the road and I'm gone.......
AnthonyBelcher
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:02 pm

Anthony,
ouch! those dynalite alternators are pretty heavy on price, I really didn't realise they were around the ?400 mark. The original dynamos had a 22amp output, the one you are looking at claims 35amps which is a 60% increase. I'm not disputing this claim, they have most likely re-designed the armature to achieve this. Dynamo's don't charge too good at low revs and I think that's the only perceived disadvantage over an alternator, I'm sure you know all this.

A really good article on the Lucas dynamo here
THE_LUCAS_C40_DYNAMOV1.pdf
(565.67 KiB) Downloaded 1348 times

I never had a problem with the dynamo on my 1969 +2 when it still had a twincam and standard wiring, it charged nicely and did it's job. Can't see why the one you are looking at would not be reliable and indeed an upgrade.

regards
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:17 pm

Do you seriously want to spend lotsa money on a new Dynamo !

Number of times I had to get friends, passers-by etc to push start my Elan in the first 12 years while I had a dynamo... At least 10!

Number of times I had to push start my Elan in the 29 years since fitting an alternator ... None!

8)
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:50 am

me too alternator every time -----if C Chapman had found them cheap enough everyLotus car would have had one ---ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:00 am

I'm 100% with Bill on this one.
I discovered that it's possible to , (just), push start an Elan on your own.
As long as you don't mind sitting wheezing and gasping for a few minutes afterwards.....

The most sensible thing I've ever done was giving up smoking 20 years ago, the second most sensible was binning the generator in my Elan.
( Well, OK, bit of an exaggeration but you get the idea ).

Ralph.
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bast0n » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:27 pm

Alternator has got to be the way to go.

Incidentally anyone wishing to be Oh so original will find my immaculate C40 on ebay at 2030 on Sunday.................. :wink:
David
bast0n
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:42 pm

Go for the small Denso alternator, in the best of the Lotus tradition...... added lightness and more power.

Rob Walker
26-4889
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:58 am

Just Google 'car dynamo reconditioning' and you'll see many folks who will sort out your dynamo and regulator. Unless you're adding a couple of things like electric headlamp motors, central locking, electric fuel pump, electronic ignition, fuel injection and a raft of Cibies on the front, the dynamo and regulator performing properly work perfectly well for the car.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:34 pm

Unless you have a lot of stop-go driving in the winter with headlamps and heater fan on! In that scenario you can't beat an alternator. :D
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:33 pm

Hi

What is wrong with your Dynamo? They are pretty basic inside you may just need new brushes?

The problem is more likely to be with your regulator IMHO.

Jason

(still have my Dynamo)
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: niagra » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:46 pm

I've just had the dynamo for my Matchless reconditioned by Paul Lydford. Cost about ?150.

A.P.L Magnetos. 1 Maple Close Shaftsbury SP7 8RF. Tel: 01747 852136 Mob: 07860828546

Dario
niagra
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:55 pm

niagra wrote:I've just had the dynamo for my Matchless reconditioned by Paul Lydford. Cost about ?150.

A.P.L Magnetos. 1 Maple Close Shaftsbury SP7 8RF. Tel: 01747 852136 Mob: 07860828546

Dario

MUCH cheaper to get a Lucas 45A alternator!
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:03 pm

Further to my earlier comments I think that unless you're a originality/concours freak then the decision as to generator or alternator is mileage related.

When I hammered my car for 20 years as the everyday driver the thing that caused the greatest number of problems, without a doubt, was the generator/control box combo.
There were forever worn bearings, poleing armatures and sticking/burnt out brushes that would get covered with a mixture of carbon and oil.

Even a professionally rebuilt generator wasn't a guarantee of longevity so it wasn't just my poor rebuilding. I was a computer field tech in the days when computers/printers were full of this sort of stone-age crap so I was reasonably adept at fixing stuff.

The control box quality went downhill real quick at a time when I suspect Lucas starting getting them made off shore, ( why do I vaguely remember India, label on a box or something ?).

Since changing years ago to an alternator, ( ex wreckers, about 20 quid,), I have had exactly 1 problem which was a fried diode pack.

So if your car is now your Summer toy car, as mine is now, then you'll probably be fine with a generator.
And if you've "had a generator for years now without any problems", it just means your car's not seeing enough revs on a regular basis.... :)

Cheers
Ralph.
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:35 pm

Stick with the dynamo of course!

A bit of a classic car nut, I can1 work out why people want to put new parts on old cars - each to their I suppose! If she came with a dynamo and positive earth so she shall remain. It also keeps the wiring diagram straight.

By having a Lotus you have chosen the high maintenance option - keep on top of the maintenance!

Repairing the dynamo is a simple job and described in great detail in the workshop manual. Spares are available but beware of anything new = made in India.

On top of that buy a 'float' charger for ?40 plug it in when the car is in the garage - Your battery will be in kept in peak condition and you won't have to worry. Unless you have lots of short journeys it is more a question of battery condition rather than alternator or dynamo.

Simon
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:13 pm

Agreed Simon, and to make things efficient I have wired a cigar-lighter type socket to my battery (with a fuse) and a matching plug to the charger. (For Chrissake don't plug it into a negative earth car!) Previously I had just plugged into the cigar-lighter socket of the car but then I needed the ignition key in the lock and a lot of current, hence voltage, was lost. I toyed with bypassing the ignition switch with a Shottky diode (low voltage drop) but other security devices made it difficult to implement.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: