Odyssey PC680 - Battery

PostPost by: twincamman » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:05 am

slow charge them and they last last ----until a nose in with my vee on the concrete pit wall at Mosport after 10 ----not much left but the cables and the posts ===THEY AINT SO TOUGH :lol: :lol: --ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:56 pm

twincamman wrote:slow charge them and they last last ----until a nose in with my vee on the concrete pit wall at Mosport after 10 ----not much left but the cables and the posts ===THEY AINT SO TOUGH :lol: :lol: --ed

Ahh, but did it leak? ;o)
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:50 pm

good point --- :lol: :lol: I don theen so ---ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tcsoar » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:58 pm

Hi,

Maybe leak was wrong term to use, as in modern batteries there is no fluid sloshing around, therefore if punch a hole in the side nothing will flow out and, if you have avoiding damaging the plates, then the battery will still work.

The thing with modern batteries is that, although they are often labeled as 'sealed for life' this is not strictly true. All of these type of batteries have the potential to produce gas, this gas can build up enough pressure to turn a regular shaped battery into the shape of a rugby ball, (american football for our friends across the pond). Because of this every battery I have ever worked with are fitted with pressure relief valves on each cell. On car batteries these are usually hidden under labels or a blanking plate. If the battery gasses this can then condense and the resulting fluid is very corrosive.

My original post was just meant to be a reminder that these batteries, whichever way round you fit them, are not fit and forget, easily done when they are tucked away under a board in your boot.

On a more positive, no pun intended :roll:, note having looked at Odyssey's website I noticed that they are produced by EnerSys, these are one of the better manufacturers of batteries, their spec also shows that the plates are 100% lead, which is another good sign of a quality battery.

Chris.
tcsoar
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tcsoar » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:55 pm

Hi Guys,

Found these pictures of some batteries we took out of a customers system a few years ago. The batteries were over ten years old and had never been checked since they were installed. Eventually they got the bad smell to the battery cabinet and called us in :roll:

The cabinet they were fitted in had to be dismantled to get them out, after which we would normally get them apart by dropping them onto the floor. These had to be carried out as they were so fused together we could not seperate them.

Chris.
Attachments
SHORE8.JPG
SHORE8.JPG (90.11 KiB) Viewed 729 times
SHORE6.JPG
SHORE6.JPG (80.98 KiB) Viewed 729 times
SHORE3.JPG
SHORE3.JPG (89.81 KiB) Viewed 729 times
tcsoar
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: TurbineHeli » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:25 pm

My old S4 battery was located in the boot and my S1 is behind passenger seat.
I'm just curious about S2/3. Where were their batteries placed?

AMA
TurbineHeli
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tvacc » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:40 pm

S2's were still behind the seat. S3's at least here in the states the battery was in the boot.
Tony Vaccaro
LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York)
http://www.lotusowners.com
Drive Fast Take Chances
ElanGTS, 93 Caterham, 05 Elise,
99 Elise190, 05 Elise, 2005 MiataSpeed Turbo
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:45 pm

Salut

I was going to joke that I don't think you'd get that lot behind the passenger seat.

More curious though is: did the batteries still work? Batteries get hot when they're used so packing them like that may be against theur specs...

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tcsoar » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:24 pm

Hi Vernon,

No the batteries were knackered, internal shorts had caused them to overheat and the pictures show thee result. These fitted into a cabinet which had three battery strings each made up of four individual batteries all fitted next to each other, common system and within spec.

Chris.
tcsoar
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: