Headlamp flasher ??????

PostPost by: billwill » Wed May 15, 2013 5:27 pm

On the S3, the second microswitch enabled the flasher circuit.

But most have been disabled nowadays, I think, there is some doubt that they are legal nowadays.

Best disconnect it.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: spridget » Thu May 16, 2013 5:42 am

Oh nice ! Thank you very much Meg for this explanation
Of course I will keep it connected !
I?m sure to have plenty of success in a Lotus meeting :D

Franck
50/0302 +2, Frogeye
spridget
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ricarbo » Tue May 21, 2013 7:49 pm

Unlike Higs' car my Sprint only flashes the lights if they are up with the light switch in the off position. They stop flashing if the light switch is on or the lights are down. Can't imagine why you would want the lights to flash when down. Also, can't imagine how you would wire it all to work with just one micro switch. Would be interested to know. regards
Richard
ricarbo
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Tue May 21, 2013 10:09 pm

ricarbo wrote:Unlike Higs' car my Sprint only flashes the lights if they are up with the light switch in the off position. They stop flashing if the light switch is on or the lights are down. Can't imagine why you would want the lights to flash when down. Also, can't imagine how you would wire it all to work with just one micro switch. Would be interested to know. regards
Richard

The "microswitches", an ironic term for those crude bits of sliding metal, both connect to relay coils, the other sides of which come from antagonistic poles of the lamp switch (that is, only one of them is live at a time) so only one of the relays can ever switch on at a time. If the lamp switch is operated fully while the lamps are up then the flasher relay drops out and the main/dip relay energises. I was surprised to find that the microswitches weren't joined together for extra reliability though my single one has never given any trouble. Neither had my brake lamp switch until yesterday!

Hope that's clear enough, Richard.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ricarbo » Fri May 24, 2013 1:21 pm

I see, I see. Many thanks QMM.
regards
Richard
ricarbo
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: YellowS4DHC » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:10 am

Quart Meg Miles wrote:Back in the days when the Elans were very fast cars compared to the average saloon the flasher was a vulgar warning to the cars in front to get-out-of-my-way but is hardly acceptable today. There are limits to authenticity and I recommend disconnecting it!

Generally I'd agree with that, especially as I tend to drive a bit slower than I did when I was younger. :)

However, here in CA during rush hour, when driving in the car pool lane at 70 MPH while all other lanes are barely moving, it's awfully nice to have a visual warning to help dissuade people from abruptly pulling into your lane at basically 0 MPH.

I hooked up my flashers specifically for this driving environment and have no regrets using them. My Elan has excellent brakes but nothing stops that fast.

Rick

'72 Europa TC
'69 Elan S4 DHC
'67 S800 Coupe
'57 T1 Speedster
YellowS4DHC
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:52 pm

Does an Elan carry enough people to qualify for driving in the car pool lane?

{we don't have them in the UK as far as I know; we had Olympic Games lanes though......}
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:09 pm

Bill, there is a car pool lane on the Leeds ring road and one on the M606 Bradford. Driver only,- prohibited!
Oops! off topic, I`ll go.
Eric in Burnley 1967 S3SE type 45 (running well)
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: