Silverstone ground condition

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:14 pm

I am a bit concerned about the ground conditions to be expected this weekend for the Classic. Can anyone offer an update regarding?

The horrific conditions all round during the F1 hopefully are now almost over / repaired but I am told that conditions in the campsite for example are still very bad. What are we to expect when we get there? Where is the club lotus 'parking' and what condition is it in? Anyone know? The Silverstone website and camping web site does not inspire confidence.

Towing an elan as everyone will know is not too easy and I for one do not want to do so. If conditions are still in the prepare to need your car towed in / out then I am afraid the Lotus stays at home.

Rain here today (Scotland central) has been very heavy all day and most of last night resulting in flooding of the already sodden ground almost everywhere with closed roads and damaged railway lines.. Quite awful. :?

Roll on winter so we can get some drier weather... :roll:
Alex..
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Coupe » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:30 pm

Copied from Lotus Drivers Club forum:

The event organisers are monitoring the weather forecasts and the site conditions in order to minimise any disruption over the Silverstone Classic event.
The public external car parking areas used by visitors to the Classic are mainly hard standing so no impact is anticipated.
Inside the event there are sufficient tarmac and hard standing areas to accommodate all activities, although some of the grass areas used by our Exhibitors and car clubs with classic cars on display may be affected. These will be relocated to suitable hard standing areas.
We look forward to welcoming you to a weekend of flat out family fun and perhaps some sunshine at last. We recommend you wear suitable clothing and footwear for the prevailing conditions
Coupe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:47 pm

Hi Alex. I've not been to Silverstone for a few years so can't comment on the current condition of their car parks but in general the ground conditions round here are not good (I'm about 20 miles from the circuit). Loads of local events have been canceled due to waterlogged fields and my nearby watermeadows have been flooded continuously for about six weeks - something I've never seen in the summer in the 30 years I've lived in the area.

It's been raining here most of the day today and some rain is forecast for tomorrow and Friday. Saturday looks good but that won't help much to dry out the ground. My default transport would be my Land Rover but the classic is a special weekend and I can understand why you'd want to go in the Elan. Coupe's referral from the LDC site looks encouraging though if there's enough hard standing for everyone
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:00 pm

Thanks guys.. If I had not spent the dosh on tickets I would have cancelled by now. Hugely disappointing weather. EVERYTHING is being rained off everywhere. Fecking awful. I cant wait until I retire now.. ( 2 months / 20days / 04 hrs / 05 Mins...I'm not counting though.... :roll:

Well brassed off. I can't even get my toys out of the garage its raining so much. I need to move Carols car and my 'fleet' of classic scoots before I can lower the elan's 'perch'. Started to prepare the Elan yesterday so I moved the Scoots out. Phone rang and I ran to answer it. 2 Min's later I had the bikes back in to dry them off. It came Pi***ng down....

Awful ....... I am really fed up with it.

Alex.
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Coupe » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:41 am

Ever the optimist I've just cleaned my white trainers to wear and the wife has been and bought sun tan lotion to take to Silverstone (living in the driest part of the UK can sometimes raise false hopes).

We are going Saturday and Sunday so if anyone is there Friday and able to report on conditions to would be helpful.
Ben
Coupe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:42 am

I would pack your wellies too Ben! The campsite advises drier weather ahead but still very wet conditions. Campers are reminded to be prepared to be towed into the parking area and possible then have to walk to camp area.

I am packing my walking waterproof boots and have two good brollies already in the car.

Forecast says better weekend and week ahead so here's hoping. We are setting off tomorrow approx 2.30 pm and stopping at Stafford North Jnct 14 on the M6 in a premier in we use often..

I keep hearing voices!!........ Beer.. beer .. beer... Where? where? I say.... :shock:

Looking forward to it though... :wink:

Anyone there or going earlier tomorrow try n report back . That will be very helpful.

Al..
Last edited by alexblack13 on Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Coupe » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:58 pm

Better pack waterproofs and brollies then just in case (that will make the sun shine).
Not expecting to arrive at Silverstone till mid morning Saturday
Ben
White 66 Coupe - with teddy bear in back window (don't ask)
Coupe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:01 pm

ok I won't... (ask)

Alex..
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Craig Elliott » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:18 pm

I think that the areas where the clubs are parking in and around the circuit are mostly hardstanding and the weather forecast for the weekend is much better than it has been over the last few weeks. I'm taking waterproofs - mainly in an effort to make sure it's sunny!
Craig Elliott
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:59 pm

Booked Friday to Sunday but as we are doing the "AA Grand tour" I think we get to park at "AA World" area where hopefully there is some solid ground. I gather the AA offer free breakdown cover for anybody attending within 3 miles of Silverstone. Can't believe too many people will want to bring their pride and joys (toys) out to play if it's as bad as the other weekend.. If I had not spent a fortune on hotels and entrance fees I might be tempted to give it a miss.. Will I even learn, don't book in advance in the UK for anything outdoors :cry:
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:57 pm

I can't comment on Silverstone ground conditions, but my garden is drying out nicely. I live about 3 miles from the circuit. After wrestling with setting the valve clearances for the last week, I could do with a break..

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:57 pm

Hope you all enjoy yourselves in spite of what the weather will throw at you, or perhaps more importantly has already thrown at the sodden ground for those of you camping. Due to much prior booked family things I'm not making it this weekend, but looking forward to the Brands Hatch Lotus Festival in August.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:18 pm

Alex if you have a pass for the car to get in to the circuit i think you will be OK apart from the Gestapo at the gates checking your tickets 20 times to make sure your car overheats. They have moved the Ginetta owners club to hard standing this week however last year we were in a field for public parking & camp sites will be fun. We are 30 miles away still pissing down.
Ian
elansprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:23 pm

Thanks Ian. We are decided now and leave tomorrow approx 3 pm with a stopover at Stafford so with any luck it will stop raining (Not bad here to day) and dry up a bit.

We live in hope. Bet the weather is great for the drive home.

Alex.
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:26 pm

Alex --perhaps I should offer you the same advice I gave my Daughter during her university stay in England ----when she phoned daily to complain 'it rains every day' -----Darling you are in England ---buy a rain coat ------fwiw -we have not seen rain in 3 months could you send some over???--ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: