Accuspark

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:10 am

Nothing wrong with points as long as you check and adjust them regularly. Cheap and simple and not much to go wrong. Cheapest option if dizzy its in good condition and all the fancy electronic gizmos do not appear to make an engine produce any more power on the dyno compared to a properly setup mechanical distributor and points!. However it is certainly easier to set up the advance curve you want and less maintenance with modern electronic units

I have used the optical Lumeniton kits in the original Lucas distributors in my Plus 2 and S1 Esprit for over 25 years on each with no problems. I have carried a set of points and condenser in the glove box of both cars all this time but never had to use them.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:58 am

Bob,
I have Pertronix ignitors fitted to both the Elan & Europa. They do seem to make starting easier but other than that I can't honestly say I've noticed a lot of difference in general running about. My reason for fitting was simply that I wouldn't have to change or adjust points any more, plus the rumours about variable quality of modern replacements. So when I used the last of my original Lucas parts I fitted the Pertronix.

There can be problems with rev counters but there are several possible remedies, most of which have been covered on here in the recent past. A quick search should give you all the options to try.

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: robertverhey » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:23 am

Another vote for pertronix from me. It was a real "fit and forget" many years ago in the lotus cortina. Seems a quality product.. Prompted I guess by a points failure middle of nowhere and middle of night.

I'm fitting accuspark to the ?lan so will be able to compare (eventually). But I must admit the current discussion probably would have changed my mind and encouraged me to spend the extra $50 on pertronix, had I not already made the purchase.
robertverhey
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elangtv2000 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:49 pm

Hi Folks,
I took a few days' break from this to work on a couple Elans, hang out with racecar/engine builder buddies, and take our S4 DHC out for a blast.
Just wanted to thank Rohan, Chancer and all who offered suggestions, input and comments.
Cheers, all,
Greg
elangtv2000
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:23 pm

I bought a replacement distributor from Aldon Automotive many years ago and fitted a Lucas hall effect electronic ignition kit (as recommended by Peter Day of Daytune, it was that long ago). It's still going strong. I have just checked Alson's website and they do electronic ignition kits...

Carl
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jaybee » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:12 pm

My previous car was very complicated as modern cars are so when I bought the + 2 I thought great simplicity. Then I had the idea that due to the distributor position I would fit electronic ignition, fit and forget. I done this then set about getting the car ready to start as it had been standing garaged after a nut and bolt rebuild for 14 years. Well I tried everything and it would not fire up ,all day long I tried . Next morning I striped the ignition and fitted the points and condenser , the engine burst into life on the very first attempt ( and the rev counter worked properly!) I contacted Accuspark they said send it back, I did and they informed me it was indeed faulty and sent me another which I promptly fitted then 4 months later and covering less than 50 miles I tried to start it and nothing, so out with the accuspark and straight into the bin! It's easier and less trouble to remove the distributor fit and set the points and refit. Ps also bought a set of their ht leads and I don't think much of them either. :(
Jaybee
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alan » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:40 am

my car has broken down 4 times and each time the problem was the crap condenser made in China. The last condenser lasted 50 miles :evil: .
I can not find a supplier of good quality condensers, so i have now fitted a Hall effect to replace points and condenser :mrgreen:
Alan.B
alan
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: