ignition coil resistance

PostPost by: stugilmour » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:42 am

Bob, another quick note on your concern with your aftermarket radiator. For reference, I am running a three row rebuilt radiator on my Plus 2 with an aftermarket pusher fan and adjustable controller mounted in the Clivey Boy housing. Thermostat is the low range one (can't recall opening temp right now).

My three row is also very dense, and I can't really feel a lot of air coming out of the fins on the engine side. This concerned me when the gauge was reading incorrectly. Now that I have the gauge dialed in, all is good. At LOG31 Las Vegas we were stuck in bumper to bumper traffic after the Indy race for about 1 1/2 hours in 94 degree heat. The gauge never got above about 105 degrees C. So even though I thought the radiator performance to be a bit suspect, all is good with the cooling system and the gauge was causing unnecessary worry. The drive down from thew Great White North showed if anything the car running a bit cool, and I will probably swap out to the higher range thermostat.

If you can get a candy thermometer or similar (John mentions a more sophisticated tool in the thread below) and get an actual coolant temp i think you will be more comfortable with diagnosing the system. I agree with the other guys that the gun type readings are good for differences, but will not give you a lot of comfort as to an absolute value of coolant temp you have.

Good info in this thread. Was trying to find the one where a poster suggested checking the coolant and gauge as outlined above before doing any cooling mods. He was mentioning the poor springs in the old gauge movements probably account for a lot a bad press on vintage British cooling systems; not sure if this is the case but sure worked for me. :)

elan-f15/checking-refurbished-water-temp-gauge-t22670.html

HTH
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:25 pm

Accurate sensors would offer insight into the radiator efficiency and gauge calibration.

I remember a company offered an electric cooling fan with a thermal switch that was inserted into the coolant stream through the radiator tube and hose. Not an installation I would recommend but a novel approach for a temporary test such as I wish to perform.

Anyone have knowledge of such a sensor?

It is my understanding that a RTD is fragile and its wires cannot be grounded. This may render it unsuitable for this application.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:00 pm

Hi Bob,

The Kenlowe fan I fitted has a similar arrangement, I suspect that's what you are thinking of.

There is a control unit which you can adjust the temperature at which the fan cuts in and this takes it's information from a sensor bulb which is fitted in the top hose to the rad. It's not as bodgy as it sounds, there is a small molded rubber insert which slips under the hose and makes a good seal where the sensor wire comes out of the hose clamp.

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: