Elan light crash..

PostPost by: aratchet » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:45 am

Even though it's a minor crunch, I would look very closely at the pivot bobbins. And the inboard corner of the bucket aperture. A fair bit of stress has been put on them and I see many inboard pivots that tend to crack in the corner without having the bucket ripped away. I always add some reinforcement on the underside of that corner when repainting or restoring an Elan. The headlamp spring has been loading that pivot for 40+ years whether it's a fail safe or non-fail safe system.
aratchet
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:24 am

Vassilis, sorry to see your damage. The BIG issue is painting the new pod, and the damage behind it, to match. In the UK there is a mobile franchise called CHIPS AWAY who may be international. They can check your existing paint with a spectrometer and match small areas to perfection.
We are also planning a trip to Classic Le Mans next year so, hopefully, we`ll meet again there. This year`s Euroclassic starts today and we`re not on it, though all the pals we go with are, I`ve just had a smug text from one.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:38 am

WRT to paint matching. Do you know what is on there at the moment? 2-pack? cellulose?

P.S. Hope I haven't given you a bum steer. Ref: elan-f14/revised-chrome-bumper-strip-t23559.html
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GreekS1 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:12 am

thanks for the interest and support guys!

Jim - It would be nice to see you again at LMC 2012! Yes we do have chips away here and they are the ones I intend to use to match the colour.

aratchet - "pivot bobbins. And the inboard corner of the bucket aperture" Do you mean the places that the headlight pod is monted via screws in the inside of the nose? Also, what is the bucket? Is it the pod? Sorry but I dont seem to know my way around the car that well yet.

ardee - I dont know what kind of paint is on the car... I guess the guys who will paint it will know. Im guessing 2 pack though. Also thank you for the threads regardign the chrome strip. will be ordering mine from Paul Matty!

Cheers guys!
1967 Elan S3 SE FHC
2000 Elise S1 - Sold

Athens - Greece
GreekS1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: GreekS1 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:36 am

Dear All,
After a long time due to business commitments and parallel work done to the car (speedo and tacho refurbishing, etc) I have finally taken the car to get repaired.
The garage was chosen on the basis that its main business is repairing Loti. They focus on the modern elise/exige but also on M100?s and esprits although I doubt they have ever worked on a baby elan!
The guy there was quite honest in saying that the front wing repair won?t be 100%. That is to say that under certain light the difference where the two colors merge will be visible.
My elan also has other paint issues which need to be dealt with mainly in the rear. It has a big crack right above the exhaust pipe and smaller ones on the boot, sides, doors, bonnet.
So, the question is: should I go the whole hog and do a total repaint of the car? Have many people done it? Is it worth the hassle?
My thinking is why pay an x amount and have a car which I will know isn?t perfect and not pay a bit more and have a perfect car?!
Vassilis
1967 Elan S3 SE FHC
2000 Elise S1 - Sold

Athens - Greece
GreekS1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:23 am

GreekS1 wrote: So, the question is: should I go the whole hog and do a total repaint of the car? Have many people done it? Is it worth the hassle?
My thinking is why pay an x amount and have a car which I will know isn?t perfect and not pay a bit more and have a perfect car?! Vassilis

Hi Vassilis,

A good question!

"X" is one amount, but "Y" could be a multiple of "X"...not just "a bit more", or have you had quotes for a total strip, crack grinding, re-tissue, respray etc etc...?

The difference in cost could equate to a LOT of fuel (and oil?) and many (s)miles behind the wheel! How much of the areas of concern can you actually see from the drivers seat? :wink: :)

Over to you...

Regards - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GreekS1 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:33 am

I understand what you are saying Richard and I agree.
I have yet to ask for a quote for a full repaint. I will do that as soon as I see the quality of his work (I left him my new pod to paint only).
I was just thinking maybe the costs here in Greece are lower than in the UK and I would be willing to do much of the stripping down myself.

Ill keep you posted...

Vassils
1967 Elan S3 SE FHC
2000 Elise S1 - Sold

Athens - Greece
GreekS1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: GreekS1 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:50 am

Hi All!

Just an update:
Got the Elan back from the repair shop the other week. I decided to repair it locally at the front (pod-wing-bumper) and also finally fix that nasty crack at the rear under the bumper! The painter got the paint spot on and I cant see the difference where the repair is at the front. I was very glad with that!
Over the weekend I started to assemble the front bumper and light pod. As you can see from the pictures of the partly assembled pod there is a visible gap betwen it and the wing at the top. This is probably because the repair that was needed there wasnt done correctly!! AAAARRRGGHH!!!

Anyway, I guess I will live with it for now...

Otherwise, the assembly is going fine!

When Im done with the front all thas left is to fit the 2 instruments that where sent to speedy cables for refubrishment and we're done!!

I cant wait to get it out and about!! I havent really driven it since September!!

Cheers!
1967 Elan S3 SE FHC
2000 Elise S1 - Sold

Athens - Greece
GreekS1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: GreekS1 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:25 am

Hi all!
Just an update as the car has been ready for a couple of weeks now but the weather was very bad here in Greece.

This was the first outing since August and I really enjoyed it!

btw. the car didnt miss a beat!!

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yhDwFkC ... e=youtu.be
1967 Elan S3 SE FHC
2000 Elise S1 - Sold

Athens - Greece
GreekS1
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: