Strange solenoid/electrical/ground problems . . . again!

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:16 pm

Okay, you're right. Now that you mention it, I've removed the console for another reason, and I've also seen the bolt on either side of the center dash, rear. The question is, "Then what?" The nut can be tightened, but can you really do anything about the quality of the contact with the chassis? :?

Thanks for any thoughts :mrgreen:

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: memini55 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:25 pm

Randy,

Part of my solution of the large ground cable being run to all connection points you now make ground points to that cable.
This lets the need for good chassis connection to no longer be as important. It really just becomes a bolt down point for all the lugs. I put eyelets on each of the end points of the large cable so I could bolt them down at each frame point.

I know it might seem to be overkill but I don't spend any time chasing ground issues.

Mark
memini55
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:31 pm

Right. I like the idea, truly. I was thinking it's a job for "frame-off" time. But if not, I suppose a guy could fairly easily run a welding cable from the engine bay ground point into the cabin, behind the dash, and connect to the collector point behind the center dash that way. No?
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: memini55 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:43 pm

I ran all the cables with just removal of the tunnel cover and some fishing of wire following the path of the original wiring. Yes it takes some effort to fit it through some of the holes, firewall and rear bulkhead but well worth the efforts.

You will find things all working better from the change. Always a plus!

Mark
memini55
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:56 pm

Got it. Thanks again, Mark. :mrgreen:

If my experience with really getting just this one ground fixed is any indication, it does make a real and noticeable difference. Wow. Bright lights, etc., instead of dull . . .

If my dash ground is improved, who knows . . . my gauge lights might even light up the dials enough to read them in the dark!!! :wink:

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: