Lotus Elan

Black and silver horn push badge

PostPost by: MMO597L » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:35 pm

MMO597L
First Gear
First Gear
 
Posts: 23
Joined: 06 Feb 2012

PostPost by: MMO597L » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:25 pm

MMO597L
First Gear
First Gear
 
Posts: 23
Joined: 06 Feb 2012

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:29 pm

I was perhaps thinking of making a Tag Team fight by listing the hornpush in the attached photo for sale on fleabay this weekend.

It is off a 15" Plus 2 black sparred leather stitched wheel which will also be for sale.

I viewed the photo and its not brilliant due to lighting conditions/camera shake and maybe some marks on my lens. The actual hornpush is just about as perfect as can be - if i look closely at it there are a couple of very fine surface scratches.

However if anyone here wants to make a sensible offer (bearing in mind what these can go for on fleabay) then I'm willing to hear it. This needs to be before Sunday 12th as I'm likely to list it then.

Steve 02920 628881

Nebog - weren't you looking earlier in this thread?
Attachments
P1100036.JPG and
Steve

Silence is Guildern; Duct Tape is Silver
User avatar
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2073
Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Location: Cardiff in Welsh Wales

PostPost by: MMO597L » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:12 pm

elanfan1 wrote:I was perhaps thinking of making a Tag Team fight by listing the hornpush in the attached photo for sale on fleabay this weekend.

It is off a 15" Plus 2 black sparred leather stitched wheel which will also be for sale.

I viewed the photo and its not brilliant due to lighting conditions/camera shake and maybe some marks on my lens. The actual hornpush is just about as perfect as can be - if i look closely at it there are a couple of very fine surface scratches.

However if anyone here wants to make a sensible offer (bearing in mind what these can go for on fleabay) then I'm willing to hear it. This needs to be before Sunday 12th as I'm likely to list it then.

Steve 02920 628881

Nebog - weren't you looking earlier in this thread?


Broader outer silver/chrome band, lettering correct - a classicbadgesdotcom button. Off the original refurbed Lucas tools, but later than Lucas own production, 1990's or 00s production run. Silver back?
MMO597L
First Gear
First Gear
 
Posts: 23
Joined: 06 Feb 2012

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:32 pm

I'm not at all sure that this is a classicbadges badge - I agree it has a chrome effect outer bezel but the text on the badge seems to be thinner and clearer - there is more space around the ACBC letters too. The poor quality of my photo doesn't help I know having it in front of me is a distinct advantage. Can't tell the colour of the backing as I'm not sure I want to risk trying to take it apart.

I need to speak again to the guy that sold this to me to confirm but I recall he said that this had been in storage for over 20 years from when he had a Plus 2 so maybe if that is correct it would also rule out it being a classicbadges badge????
Steve

Silence is Guildern; Duct Tape is Silver
User avatar
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2073
Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Location: Cardiff in Welsh Wales

PostPost by: MMO597L » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:24 pm

elanfan1 wrote:I'm not at all sure that this is a classicbadges badge - I agree it has a chrome effect outer bezel but the text on the badge seems to be thinner and clearer - there is more space around the ACBC letters too. The poor quality of my photo doesn't help I know having it in front of me is a distinct advantage. Can't tell the colour of the backing as I'm not sure I want to risk trying to take it apart.

I need to speak again to the guy that sold this to me to confirm but I recall he said that this had been in storage for over 20 years from when he had a Plus 2 so maybe if that is correct it would also rule out it being a classicbadges badge????


My comment wasn't meant to denegrate your item, just an observation. CB's likely to be the best badge available, other than possibly finding true new old stock. Classicbadges bought Lucas tools 26 years ago. So their production was/is off original Lucas tooling. Nowt wrong with that. So your seller could still have stored a classicbadge button for 20+ years.
Sorry if I offended.
MMO597L
First Gear
First Gear
 
Posts: 23
Joined: 06 Feb 2012

PostPost by: MMO597L » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:35 pm

Further: Reading your post again - I dont think the classicbadges stuff actually has the thick lettering; their product has always looked good kosher to me, see the group pic in the comparison above. The tat one is not the classicbadgedotcom. Dunno where that one with the narrow 'u' comes from, other than he 'who has been a main dealer for 35 years...' or words to that effect.
MMO597L
First Gear
First Gear
 
Posts: 23
Joined: 06 Feb 2012

PostPost by: MMO597L » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:42 am

Noticed that Matty's catalogue has the 'naff' one featured but listed as N/A at the mo.
MMO597L
First Gear
First Gear
 
Posts: 23
Joined: 06 Feb 2012

PostPost by: bast0n » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:34 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110837592791? ... 2336wt_932


The photos in this ad show two different horn pushes. Pic 1 is not correct but the one in pic 2 is!!

Buyer beware!
David

Anarchy Elan S3 SE

Image
bast0n
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 298
Joined: 31 Oct 2008
Location: Somerset

PostPost by: MMO597L » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:19 pm

bast0n wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110837592791?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649#ht_2336wt_932


The photos in this ad show two different horn pushes. Pic 1 is not correct but the one in pic 2 is!!

Buyer beware!

Go on then, I give up. What's wrong with pic 1? And what's different to pic2? They're definiately not the thick lettering ones, and not the wide silver outer?

I'm old enough to have handled dozens of these when they were still available and looks right to me...in all 3 pics.
Last edited by MMO597L on Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MMO597L
First Gear
First Gear
 
Posts: 23
Joined: 06 Feb 2012

PostPost by: bast0n » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:16 pm

MMO

Fair enough :roll:

Just does not look right to me - perhaps it is the photo but pic 1 looks thicker font and shinier than I am used to.....................
David

Anarchy Elan S3 SE

Image
bast0n
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 298
Joined: 31 Oct 2008
Location: Somerset

PostPost by: MMO597L » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:12 pm

bast0n wrote:MMO

Fair enough :roll:

Just does not look right to me - perhaps it is the photo but pic 1 looks thicker font and shinier than I am used to.....................


I cant see the thicker font I'm afraid, David.

It does look shinier than even his last listing, but I'd say just gone with a better lighting - he's the only one offering to give a written guarantee!
I have to say I'm impressed with his stuff - even gone out of the way to highlight the speckles on the chrome on the second tail light.
MMO597L
First Gear
First Gear
 
Posts: 23
Joined: 06 Feb 2012

PostPost by: jono » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:57 pm

I agree with David they are different - I know because I have 2 horn pushes - one like pic 1 and 1 like pic 2.

Both of mine are old so neither are modern repro and frankly I don't think it matters as both types look 'correct'

What is more interesting to me is why there are 2 subtly different types in circulation. I did postulate previously that I thought there may have been early types and later types and I do wonder whether Lucas produced different types perhaps due to changes in tooling or process.

Either way though it would not bother me as either type looks 'correct' and you certainly know immediately when you see a naff repro item.

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1629
Joined: 17 May 2007
Location: The wet bit in the top corner of England

PostPost by: MMO597L » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:47 pm

jono wrote:I agree with David they are different - I know because I have 2 horn pushes - one like pic 1 and 1 like pic 2.

Both of mine are old so neither are modern repro and frankly I don't think it matters as both types look 'correct'

What is more interesting to me is why there are 2 subtly different types in circulation. I did postulate previously that I thought there may have been early types and later types and I do wonder whether Lucas produced different types perhaps due to changes in tooling or process.

Either way though it would not bother me as either type looks 'correct' and you certainly know immediately when you see a naff repro item.

Jon

Agreed, none of the listing pics are the naff repro's. So go on, educate me: What's different in the pics?
MMO597L
First Gear
First Gear
 
Posts: 23
Joined: 06 Feb 2012

PostPost by: jono » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:20 pm

Work it out - I'm off to get a life
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1629
Joined: 17 May 2007
Location: The wet bit in the top corner of England
PreviousNext

Total Online:

Users browsing this forum: M.J.S and 7 guests