any +ve earthers with dynamo's still out there ?

PostPost by: RichC » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:36 pm

just lookin' at another thread & it got me thinking with all the 'upgrading' if there are many left who still run dynamos?
I couldn't be bothered to switch to alternator with all the downtream mods required , just swapped in a lucas dynamo with same frame as the c15 but , if I recall it was c15L with more windings and higher output (25A or more?), which i think might have been used on e- type? I still have an original spec dynamo in good nick but the higher output 'L' is a great improvement It's just fab seeing the original ammeter needle swing up toward the 30 mark when the battery has been run low over winter storage or when lights / wipers / heater and music is on . I did take the belt and braces approach and upgrade the battery as well, but as we're never held in long trafficjams after dark in the cold and wet it has never really been tested...
Call me crazy but I just like the fact that you can tinker and adjust the control box too!
RichC
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:09 pm

I have been using a generator for the last 30+ years, no plans to change.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:02 am

Hi Rich

Mine still has the dynamo but was converted to neg earth before I got it. I was using mine twice a week for work when I had secure parking. The only problem I had was that the dynamo does not charge at low revs so if you got caught in a traffic jam in the rain (lights on and wipers going) the lights would dim. I used to switch the engine off (and lights and wipers) and wait for a long gap before starting again. I have no plans to 'upgrade' to an alternator as I like the original look.

There are alternators out there that look like dynamos if it ever cause concern; but they are pricey.

http://www.racemettleltd.co.uk/dyn.html

?400 plus VAT

Jason
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: spridget » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:09 am

Hi Rich
My car was previously converted when I get it, I would have probably kept the dynamo otherwise (see "electric jam" thread)
My frogeye perfectly runs with its original dynamo, I just have to charge the battery sometimes generaly before a long trip. I have to say there is not a lot electric loads on a Sprite :mrgreen:
Franck
50/0302 +2, Frogeye
spridget
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:37 pm

Still have the original dynamo, but I converted to negative earth many years ago. It all works just fine on the existing load.

Easy conversion and I have a nice older Blaupunkt AM/FM/CD receiver that works well when I want tunes.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:22 pm

Mine's still a positive earth dynamo but I am planning to change to a modern alternator - hopefully this summer - in the name of reliability. Thankfully the P.O. left the earth lead long and doubled over so it won't require an new cable when I switch to negative earth. I'll just need to stretch it out to reach the battery terminal. 8)
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rong » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:18 pm

My car still has the dynamo fitted and has given no trouble in 25 years (famous last words!) I had the rev counter reconditioned last year and decided to have it converted to negative earth at the same time. The reason behind this was to replace the radio (which only picked up long wave) with something more modern. Needless to say I still don't listen to the radio. The main reason for not going down the alternator root is that I believe that a dynamo puts less strain on the water pump as you can run the fan belt with less tension. This may,of course, be an old wives tail!

Ron
67 +2
rong
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:16 am

happy to believe that Ron .
My Radio is the original Pye Major (incidentally which has a switch on the back to change polarity!) on which Bob Rich did a very good repair job , using the jack in the front to take ipod cable modded to give mono output .
Seems dynamo's are still around but +ve earthers are an endangered species ....
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: LotusNWT » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:05 am

Mine is still on the dynamo and I have not plans to change. Although the upgrad does sound tempting...
LotusNWT
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: