Tacho back after refurb .....BUT

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:56 am

Right, I've wired up a 4 pin relay and run a fused supply from the solenoid, with a switched supply from the ignition switch. All seems fine, no blown fuses, and the rev counter is steady.

However, there's an almost constant clicking noise from the relay.
Is this normal?

Regards.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:25 pm

Nope, I was wrong. Here's what is happening.

The rev counter was returned fully refurbished, and instead of the old inductive pickups, there's now 3 wires exiting the casing. SpeedCables instructions are to wire the black to Earth, the yellow to the points side of the coil, and the red to a positive feed.

If I do this (using dedicated wiring) .... it does work, and consistently. But I have only so far achieved this with an 'always-live' feed from the solenoid.

If I try to use a relay, then it works for about 20 seconds, after which the relay starts clicking and the rev counter drops to zero. Then the rev counter picks up, the clicking starts again, etc, etc.

Any ideas.... Help!

PS: Don't like the idea of having a live feed on the rev counter!

Regards.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:53 pm

Are you useing a relay marked as per diagram and wired the same? if so you should have a constant power feed from term 87 with the igition on, it shouldn't kickout, what happen's if you check with a voltmeter, does it loose power when it clicks? you have'nt got a relay with a thermal overload have you? where did you get the relay?
Brian
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:01 pm

Brian,

Thanks.

I'll check tomorrow night, and answer where possible.

Don't think I can even find the garage tonight (Fog) ... not Drink !

Regards.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:27 pm

Sounds like a duff relay unless you've picked up an indicator relay by mistake??
John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:24 pm

Have skimmed through this discussion thread and may have missed the obvious - if so sorry but....

my understanding is that a standard rev counter has to be modified to work properly with electronic ignition. Might this be the problem? When mine went back for a refurb recently it was ?10 more to have it converted to work with both types of system.

Cheers all
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:47 pm

Elanfan 1:

I too, paid extra for the electronic ignition/sports coil option, although it will work perfectly with a standard distributor system (so Speedy say).

John:

Swopped the relay for another, tonight. Same problem. Relay is marketed for 'accessories' such as fog/spot lamps, electric fan etc., and 30A rated.

Brian:

Both relays are from Halfords. No indication there is a thermal cut-out. Both are marked and wired as per the standard 4 pin diagram. Will check terminal 87 as soon as I can (weekend) and post back.
Shame you're in South Africa, else perhaps I could persuade you to pop round!!

Regards and thanks.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:51 pm

sgbooth wrote: No indication there is a thermal cut-out. Both are marked and wired as per the standard 4 pin diagram. Will check terminal 87 as soon as I can (weekend) and post back.
Shame you're in South Africa, else perhaps I could persuade you to pop round!!.

Actually I'm not in S.A. I'm in Bracknell at the moment and only go back to S.A. at the end of December until April, get away from this cold overcrowded little island!
But the problem at hand, if you have wired as per diagram as I said, term 87 should have a constant live feed, do not connect it to the rev counter, just test if it has power on that terminial. If it does not click and you have constant power then I would assume the prob is with the rev counter, just make sure term 85 has a good earth.
Brian
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:01 am

my rebuilt tach does the same ---I just use it to fill the hole in the dash and shift by ear - :cry: -ed
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:36 am

twincamman wrote:I just shift by ear - :cry: -ed

Hey Ed, have you tried useing your hand? its a lot easier :lol:
Brian
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:56 am

but how could I steer the car ???[ i should have kept an eye out for that ]--doh--- :shock: ed
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:42 pm

Update:

Gave up on the relay and went looking again for a dedicated supply.
Noticed a spare way on the fusebox. Found an ignition-switched supply on the fusebox and looped that across to the spare way. Added a fuse.
Took a wire from the downside of the spare way and connected it directly to the Tacho.........bingo, seems to be working fine.

Except........I've now lost all my lights (interior panel, interior door-switched, sidelight, dip and main beam).

Either a coincidence (unlikely) or I've dislodged something. There is a relay of some sort, nestling just in back of where the body of the Tacho would be, with several pins, and many piggy-back connections. That may be the problem.

One step forward, one back. Was it not ever so, when working on older cars?

Regards.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: