Generator over heating?

PostPost by: elan4me » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:46 am

Twice now when I have taken longer drives in my 69 S4, around 2 hours. I have trouble with generator. The first time, after the drive, when i turned the key off, the ignition light came on, no charge to the battery, I found a bad wire connection at the generator. The second time, I was driving at night, as I came to a stop at the signals the lights would dim. When I drove back up to speed the lights work properly. Again when I made it home and try to restart the car, the battery was dead.
When I drive it around town there are no troubles.
Can a generator over heat? From it's self or from the headers?
Any suggestions.

Stan
elan4me
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:29 am

The best thing to do with the C40l/RB340 charging combo is not to fix it but to bin it. The most persistent and annoying Elan problems I've had over the years have been charging, ( or rather, not charging), problems.
I finally nailed them by putting in an alternator. Can't remember the exact procedure but do recall it all being a lot easier than I would have thought.
No more dead/dying batteries, dim lights. hard or non-existant starting.
Best of all, no more push starting on my own. (It is possible....just!)
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:01 am

It could be your battery. Does the charging light stay on while your're driving? If yes then it could be the generator needing brushes. I went the alternator route on my S1, the lights are brighter, constantly. My +2 still has the generator which has been trouble free, but when it goes on the blink I'll convert it to an alternator as well. I bought mine from RDent Enterprises in Pennsylvania.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: