http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

Thanks

Baggy
Baggy2
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Baggy2 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:08 pm

I'll take that as a 'No' then!

I might buy one and report back -we'll see.

All the best

Baggy
Baggy2
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:02 pm

Do you know if they are distributed...sorry...sold by any of the usual suspects?

If not, maybe why there's lack of info / feedback about them.

Cheers -rd
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:08 am

I'd check about the advance curve as various engines like/need different,can you select your own (as with some other electronic dizzies)...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Baggy2 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:10 am

Thanks for your responses. As far as I know they are only sold by this seller on ebay - probably imported from the far east? I have a missfire so I started looking at leads, rotor arm, dizzy cap etc - all looked ok but in looking for replacement parts I came accross these distributors. I know mine is mechanicaly worn so I thought buy a new dizzy and get some of the other bit 'free'. They have a phone number on their ad. so I was going to quizz him on the subject of advance curves.

Anyway, thanks for your interest - I'll do a little report if I decide to go ahead.

Baggy
Baggy2
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tonycharente » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:51 am

Baggy2 wrote: I'll do a little report if I decide to go ahead.

Baggy

Hello Baggy,
Yes, please do a report if you go ahead - I have some (good) experience of the "123" version with the Ford drive, but they are in another price bracket altogether.

Cheers
Tony
1969 Elan FHC S4 SE
tonycharente
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: martinbrowning » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:36 pm

tonycharente wrote:I have some (good) experience of the "123" version with the Ford drive, but they are in another price bracket altogether.

Tony - which advance curve settings did you use with the 123 distributor? I have one that I am considering fitting to my dellorto big valve engine.

Baggy - my apologies for stealing the thread.

Kind regards,

Martin B
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
72 Europa Special, 72 Sprint, 72 Plus 2
martinbrowning
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tonycharente » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:26 pm

martinbrowning wrote:
tonycharente wrote:I have some (good) experience of the "123" version with the Ford drive, but they are in another price bracket altogether.

Tony - which advance curve settings did you use with the 123 distributor? I have one that I am considering fitting to my dellorto big valve engine.

Baggy - my apologies for stealing the thread.

Kind regards,

Martin B

Hello Martin,
Simple question - but complicated answer...

First complioaction: The 123's come with a different set of 16 settings according to model - i.e. a 123 sold for a mini has a different set than one sold for an MGB and a different set than their generic one... The ones I have experience of were their generic model, ref 123 GB-4, but modified with the Ford drive. They may do now (that's a question...) but at the time 123 did not sell a version with the Ford drive.

Second complication: The advance curves chosen by Lotus in period varied between the different Twin-Cam engines, and in particular between Standard v. S/E + Sprint, but also Webers v Strombergs - see the workshop manual... So it would be interesting to know (Baggy please...) which version of Twin-Cam the Powermax one is set up for if not user adjustable.

My experience was as follows. I initially bought one for a friend with an S4 Elan on Webers, but tried it on my own Elan (S4SE on Strombergs) to see if it was any improvement over my existing dizzy (23D.4 / curve 40953 plus Lumenition). The 123 settings that most closely matched the Lotus curve were 7, B and F, and I tried all of these. To be honest I couldn't really tell much difference (tested by driving the car up and down the road - no rolling road...). And as none of them actually improved on my existing set up I didn't buy one for myself, given the cost.

Later on I had two French friends with an Elan S4 and an S130 for whom I purchased 123's as they both needed to replace their existing dizzies. I've an idea they both ended up on the F setting, but again by simple trial and error, nothing scientific. Both are happy with their purchase.

Sorry this is a bit vague, but hope it helps a little.

Baggy - sorry to have pinched your topic - but it does show the need to ask them for which Twin-Cam theirs is set up up for if not user adjustable - take a look at the Workshop Manual first!

Cheers
Tony
1969 Elan FHC S4 SE
tonycharente
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: martinbrowning » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:09 pm

Tony,
Most grateful for your full reply - guess it comes down to trial and error

Martin
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
72 Europa Special, 72 Sprint, 72 Plus 2
martinbrowning
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tonycharente » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:19 pm

martinbrowning wrote:Tony,
Most grateful for your full reply - guess it comes down to trial and error

Martin

Yes, trial and error - particularly as by now many engines are a long way off the original factory set-up anyway. The only problem, though, is that to do the trial and error with the 123 you have to remove and replace the dizzy each time - and we all know how convenient that is! (Just a little bit easier with Strombergs though. And with LHD, although mine isn't...)
1969 Elan FHC S4 SE
tonycharente
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:02 pm

Baggy, I took a look at their web site, and the supplier seems to offer custom advance curves. Not much detail on that particular page though, but something to check out.

First time I tried, the web site drop down for Lotus only came up with a 907 model that appears to have vacuum advance, which diferent than the one on eBay. Looking around the "Early Lotus 25D4" came up, but it also appeared to have vacuum advance. Might be a good idea to confirm all details with your order, maybe by phone.

Hard to tell, but the pricing might be way lower on their web site? Anyway, product looks worth a shot to me, particularly if you can get a custom advance curve for your TC model. The supplier has follow-up comments on his neutral & low feedback; always a good sign. :)

Pricing looks good compared to the similar Pertronix unit I went with. I changed the coil and plug wires when I did mine to make sure I had the corrrect low resistance coil. Have not measured the Pertronix advance curve, but it works well on my engine. Might want to also ask the supplier if he has a compatable rev limiter module for the unit.

Cheers!
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:15 pm

My elan originally had a distributor which had vacuum advance mechanism, but it was not connected to the vacuum source.

I did like the setscrew for altering the timing though, that was very useful.

Alas Vegantune of Spalding replaced that distributor when they re-furbed the car in 1982/3
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Baggy2 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:29 pm

Hi All, I have spoken to the supplier and the link:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

does go to a non-vaccuum advance unit. The only non-vaccuum model he does is based on the 43D rather than the 23D which is a minor negative for me as I quite like the engine to look in period if not original. (I know you can hardly see the bl**dy ditributor but I also went to the trouble of rebuilding my glass top fuel pump rather than buying a new one!)

The above link has an electronic module fitted that really is designed to work with a very low resistance coil - he will fit a module suitable for the standard "sports coil" (Lucas DLB105 I think) if required.

Yes, I've got the manual with the various advance curve details and he says he can supply to suit - whether the advance curves are still 'right' for the fuel we use nowadays is a different matter.

I asked about the operation of the rev counter and he assured me there are no problems there.

He seems a co-operative , knowledgeable seller I'm just slightly put off by the fact it's not 23D shape.

All the best

Baggy
Baggy2
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Baggy2 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:46 pm

Hello Bill,
I hadn't seen you post when I typed mine - yes, I remember the the knurled nut on the vaccum advance 25D distributors - very handy - the picture on the suppliers website does not show if it's on his version . Anything to do with the distributor on the Elan is such a pain in the neck - and back - and arms........ Once I've done this I dont want to do it again for a very long time.
All the best

Baggy
Baggy2
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: aratchet » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:04 am

Just fyi. The 23d with the vacuum unit that came with most Federal Twin Cams(Lucas #41125) was a vacuum retard unit. 5 degree at idle and did not get the full advance of the mechanical 23ds(Lucas #40953 and 41189) Also the 23ds were hollow under the pinch clamp which lead to many being over tightened and cracking the body(which could have been a clever marketing ploy by Lucas). The 43ds are solid here and should not crack.
aratchet
First Gear
First Gear

Next

Total Online: