Chinese eye headlamp conversion

PostPost by: roadterror » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:37 am

Hi Guys, I'm installing a TTR Chinese eye headlamp conversion and was wondering if anyone has pictures/ instructions on how this is done. The parts supplied consists of a fibreglass flat panel, which I assume is for the mounting of the headlamp(but the outline doesn't match) and the clear plastic outer cover.

Do the original pop up light mounts/ bobbins have to be cut-off?

What's the procedure for posting pictures here?

TIA.

Cheers,
Brian
roadterror
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:44 am

Hi Brian

The first photo is a S2 with the "Chinese Eye" headlamp and I don't think much of the original lamp system is left

This next one is an S1 26r headlamp conversion (I believe) and it is pretty much just a lamp cover for the stock opening that will save 10 pounds off the front of the Elan. If I am wrong someone will straighten me out, that I am sure of.

Thanks to Clark and Rob for the photos to butcher.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:06 pm

Brian,

Both or these headlamp treatments are applied in addition to the "26R" fender flares/kits. Do you also have these ?

George
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: roadterror » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:14 pm

Thanks for the pictures Gary. Are there any showing how the h/lamp and panel are secured to the bodywork?

Hi George, the conversion is going to be carried out on a Sprint without any other 26R body alterations. Hopefully it'll fit....

Would prefer to keep the original pop-up pod attachments but seems like they may be in the way.
roadterror
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:19 am

I was looking at swapping over from the pop up lights to the 26R version (non Chinese eye) too and was under the impression that the original mechanism (bobbins etc) could remain in place. I was told all that was needed extra was a bit of fibreglassing which could in worse case be ground out if you wanted to reverse the operation.
Can anyone clarify this?
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:23 am

Gents,

I think if you were careful you could preserve the bobbins with the non-Chinese eye treatment applied to a non wide arch elan . Here are couple shots of my old race car. - The outer bobbins went away with the the fender modifications the inner were still recoverable. TTR sell a panel kit to mount the small head lamps. the buckets etc are available from a number of cars ( i get mine from old jag XJ's)

G
Attachments
lampL2R.JPG and
lampL2R2.jpg and
streight.JPG and
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:50 am

Where did this term come from?
Last edited by 1964 S1 on Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:18 am

Most folks that start a topic know what they want out of the topic and what it is about. They know what they want but don't convey that to us well. I still am unsure which kit Brian is installing. its tough to help someone when you don't understand the question. There are two headlamp covers and one is a complete change in looks to the front of the elan ("chinese eye"), the other mimics the original pop up lamp shape and just guts all of the mechanical components for a fixed unit. See this post for info

elan-f14/26r-headlamp-covers-t16076.html

Maybe it?s me that?s confused easily, post some pictures of what you are trying to do. They help me to understand what it is you are trying to accomplish and then I may be able to offer something useful. If I can?t, then there are others here that have a great deal of experience with this stuff and they may decide that they can offer something that you and everyone else is interested in.

Here are a a couple of pictures of the ?chinese eye? version (well that?s what I believe that they are called), is this the system you are installing?

These two are off of this site I think and I don't know who took the photos.

I think this is a photo that Dave Hughes sent me of his shell.

So getting back to my part of playing 20 questions and acting dumb as a stump, What KIT are you trying to install?

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Gray » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:03 pm

Hi

I remember reading many years ago that the fixed headlamp arrangement on an Elan was not road legal in the UK as it made the headlamps below the minimum height. Does anyone know if this is still the case and if it comes up in the MOT?

Regards Gray
Gray
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:13 pm

t was discussed here:

elan-f14/faired-26r-type-headlights-hid-conversion-t17933.html

I understand that the requirement at the time the car was designed was a minimum of 24", but that requirement has since been reduced to 500mm - which would mean that they are legal.

The last time it was discussed I found this reference:

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_9.htm

It says for any vehicle first used on or after 1 January 1956 the minimum height is 500mm.

I don't think anyone has reported getting them through an MOT, though.

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: roadterror » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:31 pm

Hi Gary,

I was under the impression that both kits are "Chinese Eye" conversions but large or small...

To clarify, it's the larger width kit that converts the Sprint pop up lights...

Looking at the photos, which size headlamp is most suitable? There's a choice of 5" and 7"?

How is it that some examples have the area under the headlamp well covered (like the Europa) while others are left exposed?

Cheers,
Brian
roadterror
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ripley » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:45 pm

Brian, it's simple, it's just a question of taste. Most of the race Elans with 26R style headlamps don't have the area underneath grp covered, some have.
"Chinese eye" is only called the version which has a narrow opening, just as small as the headlights themselves; the other (non chinese eye-version) has the same measure as the original but without pop up mechanism.
Headlamp sizes differ, most used are the TTR supplied 5", with lot of modification work you can also use 7" Lucas (Jaguar XJ, MGB). Question of taste, too...
Fred
Attachments
Bild 1135.jpg and
ripley
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:05 pm

I was looking at a car at LOG 30 that had a 26R style headlamp kit, the non Chinese eye full width style. The kit was supposedly supplied by TT and the upper pair of four screws holding the plexi covers was through a bent aluminum bracket, the other end simply attached to the normal headlamp pod swivel point using a 1/4-20 hex head cap screw. The lower fixing was a simple straight piece of aluminum with a screw through the body beside the headlamp opening. It was so simple I didn't take a photo. But then again, I might copy the upper fixing, bit not the lower one.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bigvalvehead » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:20 pm

Hi Pics att'd of the Chinese Eye light conversion
You have to cut quite a bit away as the new light surround has a lower profile.

You will lose the std mounts.

Cheers Dave hughes 26-R-9
EPSON001s.jpg and
Dave Hughes
S2 26R
Elan DHC Sprint
Shapecraft Honda powered S1(in progress)
Turbocharged 26R clone (also in progress)
Evora 400 development car ex Lotus Factory
bigvalvehead
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:25 pm

MINE
Attachments
P1010021.JPG
P1010021.JPG (17.13 KiB) Viewed 3555 times
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: