Lotus Elan

Think I'll sell my wiper blades.

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:07 am

'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 596
Joined: 04 Oct 2003
Location: Gold Coast QLD Australia

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:08 am

Yep...

John :wink:
User avatar
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 5684
Joined: 21 Sep 2003
Location: Manchester

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:38 am

It always make me smile when people comment on things being expensive on ebay. It is not the sellers fault that 2 people wanted these desperately such that they both bid with a couple seconds to go and put in prices that they thought would be killer bids way above the bid price at the time. Normally this tactic works in that you tend to flush out the normal bidders and win the item at just above a normal price - it would seem here that 2 people had the same idea at the same time for the same item. I wouldn't say that this is a normal marklet price just a set of circumstances combining. All that said if the bidders weren't prepared to pay the price they bid then they should not have bid the amounts they did.

I'm not saying the OP's original post was negative to the seller in context as it seemed pretty neutral to me but there are often comments on here that seem to have a go at sellers achieving high prices for rare items - guys its not the sellers fault its the bidders that set the price.
Steve

Silence is Guildern; Duct Tape is Silver
User avatar
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2081
Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Location: Cardiff in Welsh Wales

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:11 am

ouch!

I bought a set of the same wipers from the same guy for 20 quid! I thought that was a bit extravagant

Robbie
User avatar
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1615
Joined: 08 Oct 2003
Location: UK

PostPost by: 69S4 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:40 am

elanfan1 wrote:It always make me smile when people comment on things being expensive on ebay. It is not the sellers fault that 2 people wanted these desperately such that they both bid with a couple seconds to go and put in prices that they thought would be killer bids way above the bid price at the time.


On one of my first forays onto ebay I wanted to bid ?45.00 on an item but somehow it went in as ?4500. Good job someone else didn't put in a killer bid.

These days I get the kids to do it
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1202
Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Location: nr Oxford UK

PostPost by: billwill » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:20 pm

I really dislike the ebay bidding method it just ends up with no action until the last few minutes of the auction. Can you imaging the chaos that would ensue in a real auction room if the bidding was like that.. e.g. the bidding on item 219 will end at precisely 3:22pm highest bit at that time wins.

Madness.

On the CiX conferencing system (which opened way back in 1987) a far more sensible bidding method was used in the auction section, which worked well and was a better model to off-line auctions. Alas CiX is somewhat moribund nowadays.

Basically the bidding finishes when there have been no further bids for a given time. The seller specifies that time interval from standard options when he puts the item up for auction. Typical time periods were 48 hours excluding weekends or 24 hours including weekends etc. It all worked very smoothly and more sensibly than ebay.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 4717
Joined: 19 Apr 2008
Location: London UK

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:52 pm

billwill wrote:I really dislike the ebay bidding method it just ends up with no action until the last few minutes of the auction. Can you imaging the chaos that would ensue in a real auction room if the bidding was like that.. e.g. the bidding on item 219 will end at precisely 3:22pm highest bit at that time wins.

Madness.

On the CiX conferencing system (which opened way back in 1987) a far more sensible bidding method was used in the auction section, which worked well and was a better model to off-line auctions. Alas CiX is somewhat moribund nowadays.

Basically the bidding finishes when there have been no further bids for a given time. The seller specifies that time interval from standard options when he puts the item up for auction. Typical time periods were 48 hours excluding weekends or 24 hours including weekends etc. It all worked very smoothly and more sensibly than ebay.



Sounds like a business opportunity staring you in the face. Meg Whitman, the billionaire (in US terms) former CEO of eBay is currently running for governor of California (the ~8th largest economy in the world) with only the "experience" she gained at eBay.
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
User avatar
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 702
Joined: 22 Sep 2003
Location: Humboldt County, California

PostPost by: 512BB » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:35 am

Well Jim,

Be prepared for your taxes to go up then if she gets in, just like the bloody final value fees! From 4% when they first started, to 10%!!!!!!! now!!!!!!. Thats what happens when you have a monopoly, you can demand MONOPOLY money!!!!!!

If some other bright spark started another on line auction site, with the clout to promote it, ebay fees would soon come down, its amazing what a little competition does to prices.

Leslie
512BB
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 881
Joined: 24 Jan 2008
Location: Cambridgeshire, UK

PostPost by: theelanman » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:55 pm

Robbie693 wrote:ouch!

I bought a set of the same wipers from the same guy for 20 quid! I thought that was a bit extravagant

Robbie



me too....although I cant say if it was the same bloke or not.....
but I got my speed blades off ebay for ?20.......

:mrgreen:
User avatar
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1521
Joined: 17 Sep 2003
Location: Peak District

PostPost by: Fred Talmadge » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:07 pm

512BB wrote:Well Jim,

Be prepared for your taxes to go up then if she gets in, just like the bloody final value fees! From 4% when they first started, to 10%!!!!!!! now!!!!!!. Thats what happens when you have a monopoly, you can demand MONOPOLY money!!!!!!

Leslie


On the other hand what experience did Arnold Swartsenager or Ronald Raegan have?
User avatar
Fred Talmadge
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 396
Joined: 24 Sep 2003
Location: Bellville, TX USA

PostPost by: billwill » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:52 pm

> Sounds like a business opportunity staring you in the face.

It would be very difficult to go up as a competitor against eBay nowadays it would cost a fortune to deflect even part of their customers to a new auction supplier and eBay would retaliate so you would go broke. I doubt that the principle could be patented because of various things including prior 'publication' at CiX.


There are easier ways of losing lots of money :lol:
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 4717
Joined: 19 Apr 2008
Location: London UK

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:40 am

User avatar
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1615
Joined: 08 Oct 2003
Location: UK

Total Online:

Users browsing this forum: Andy Hamblin, Bill, pharriso, wotsisname and 13 guests