Neat way to seal up front sidelight units?

PostPost by: alaric » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:41 am

Hi all. I'm fitting the front sidelights - basically working through the wiring from the front of the car to the back - have not got far... The original 'foam' gaskets are now brittle and useless. I've bought some 3mm thick rubber sheet from ebay to make up new gaskets. I just wondered if anyone had a neat alternative way of sealing these things up that allows them to be taken apart again easily.

All the best.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:25 am

Have you checked with Matty recently to see if he has the gaskets? As he's had the sidelights re-made, they must have gaskets fitted...so someone's making them!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Timb » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:45 pm

I made my own out of an old inner tube, used the old perished ones as a pattern, do the job fine.
Timb
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:54 pm

Two excellent suggestions. Thanks very much guys. I think I have the remains of an inner tube from where I used one before.

Regards.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:45 pm

Hi Guys,
Two excellent replies as usual but..You can always buy a bit of Gasket rubber from various companies (woolies? for E.G.) even Su Millar sells it. It's a bit different to inner tube rubber in as much as it's a lot less 'squidgie' for the want of a better word. and stays put very well & cuts good too!

I can send you enough to do your lamps if you want.. Just give me your address...

Alex B.... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:38 pm

Thanks for the offer Alex. I took delivery of some ebay best rubber sheet today that may be ok - a bit hard though. I'll try the inner tube idea as I've used that approach before and it worked well. I'll let you know if I need any of the stuff that you have.

All the best.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:52 pm

Not sure whether you are refering to the rubber gasket between lamp & body, or to the gasket between lens & lamp? For the latter, the most effective gaskets I have seen are soft foam with a thin clear plastic 'washer'. The washer stops the inevitable lumps & bumps on the lens moulding from sticking to the foam when fitted/removed. The lenses are not very strong where the bayonet-type tabs fit, so the foam needs to be soft and the washer needs to be smooth to avoid breakages... :wink:

Anyway, after a while the lenses tend to melt since they are so small & fit close to the bulb... :(

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:55 pm

...not if you fit LED bulbs...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:02 pm

Go on then John, please give us more details - make, model, availability, etc... :)

Thanks,
:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:20 pm

50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:32 pm

Matthew

It's late now ,I'll dig out the details in the morning, but they're the only LEDs I have liked, they fit the front sidelights and number plate lamps.
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:48 pm

Hi. I didn't know there was a gasket between the lamp and body. I did check some time back, and am sure I concluded there wasn't one. I'd rather fit one though so good to hear. I was referring to the gasket that seals the lens unit to the body of the light, so the foamy gasket. Mine have shrunk and are brittle now. So a soft neoprene seems like a good idea.

I thought about using LEDs. For me that falls into one of those conversions I can do once the car is on the road.

Thanks for the help.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:38 pm

I didn't know there was a gasket between the lamp and body

Hi

There is not. I made the gasket between the lamp body and the lamp lens. It is shown in the Lotus Parts manual.

Jason
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rjaxe » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:07 am

If you need material try these guys they stock a wide range of rubbers and foam, I found them very helpful when I needed material to refurbish my +2 heater unit.
www.foamandrubberstrip.co.uk
Richard
rjaxe
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:01 pm

Sean,Matthew et Al

Here's the LED's,have had a good look and there's no marking on them and I can't remember where I got them from..Fleabay,China/Hong Kong rings a bell...Good Luck

P.S. Just noticed my sidelights are reversed,am also about to make a gasket for them (bed them in white silicone),will post piccy after if they look O.K.
Attachments
2010_0401lights0002.JPG and
2010_0401lights0001.JPG and
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: