Sat navs..

PostPost by: rocket » Mon May 11, 2009 11:58 am

I imagine this is a silly question but is there any problem with plugging my Tom Tom into my plus 2 lighter socket as per modern car?

Ian.
rocket
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Mon May 11, 2009 12:14 pm

Dont see why there should be, I use my TomTom in my Sprint
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon May 11, 2009 12:24 pm

No problem..

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Mon May 11, 2009 5:31 pm

The only problem is that you might find how (in)accurate your speedo is...

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon May 11, 2009 7:25 pm

Talking of which,my speedo is spot on (according to the satnav),since I fitted the lotus 5-speed box,a damn site more accurate than the 4-speeder...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: andyhodg » Mon May 11, 2009 8:22 pm

Ian
It will be fine as long as you haven't a positive earth car.

Regards

Andy
andyhodg
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Mon May 11, 2009 8:29 pm

Sorry to hijack the thread but can people post their findings with their Sat Navs. I bought a cheap Medion one which had Navteq maps on board Ive taken it back as despite having Fastest, shortest and most economical route options it was very inaccurate - telling me to take some downright bizarre routes (which i ignored and even after it told me to do a u turn continued to ignore until it recalculated and would go the route I thought most sensible.) If you weren't on your guard it would take you miles and miles out of your way. Even coming home down my own road it tells me to turn right where there is no right turn - bizzare!

How accurate and user friendly are your units? I'd like one with a simple full postcode input that will get me there by a sensible route not Cardiff to london via John O'Groats.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Mon May 11, 2009 9:23 pm

A few years ago I bought a Medion PDA which had a sat-nav program (and it wasn't cheap) it was complicated and really USER UNFRIENDLY, took 5 minutes to get it programmed and instructed me to do some funny things.......turn right on a motorway was one thing! :shock:
I then put a Tom-tom program on to it and it was OK until the the PDA died. :evil:
Then I bought a dedicated sat nav (Tom-tom 720 go) and its great, 6 digit post code, door to door navigation and simple to use. :D
I've tried a friends Garmin and been in a car with Nav-man but IMHO Tom-tom is the best but that's just my opinion and maybe just what I'm used too.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Tue May 12, 2009 8:36 am

I'm with Brian. I too have a TomTom and have no complaints about it. Does all I want of it.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Tue May 12, 2009 5:17 pm

A Sat Nav is cheating, if you are driving a classic car you should be using a map :wink:

However the TomTom works fine in my S4. One thing to watch out for is noisy ignition (RFI) which may cause the Sat Nav to have problems. As long as the ignition is suppressed all will work.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Tue May 12, 2009 5:29 pm

steveww wrote:A Sat Nav is cheating, if you are driving a classic car you should be using a map :wink: .

A map is cheating............you should be navigating by the stars :roll: :roll:
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue May 12, 2009 5:49 pm

types26/36/74 wrote:
steveww wrote:A Sat Nav is cheating, if you are driving a classic car you should be using a map :wink: .

A map is cheating............you should be navigating by the stars :roll: :roll:

Here here; I say if you can afford an Elan, you can also afford a Harrison N?4 Watch :lol: :lol: :lol:
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rocket » Tue May 12, 2009 10:58 pm

Didnt John Harrison provide time information rather than mapping??? i agree though about TomTom being the best choice,i just wonder if my car might revolt at such modern equipment being wired to her...
rocket
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Wed May 13, 2009 12:04 pm

types26/36/74 wrote:A map is cheating............you should be navigating by the stars :roll: :roll:

Rocket, hence Mr. Pelly's suggestion of a Harrison H4. Star positions mean nothing if you don't know the time. :shock: Now Mr. Pelly, I think that the Harrison H4 is in higher than Bugatti Royale territory, even if you could persuade the Greenwich Observatory to part with it. Then again perhaps Parliament is thinking along those lines to bail out RBS.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed May 13, 2009 12:19 pm

CBUEB1771 wrote:
types26/36/74 wrote:A map is cheating............you should be navigating by the stars :roll: :roll:

Rocket, hence Mr. Pelly's suggestion of a Harrison H4. Star positions mean nothing if you don't know the time. :shock: Now Mr. Pelly, I think that the Harrison H4 is in higher than Bugatti Royale territory, even if you could persuade the Greenwich Observatory to part with it. Then again perhaps Parliament is thinking along those lines to bail out RBS.

Hey russ,

what's with the Mr. Pelly business, respect for the aged?
I'll let you call me John, provided you go down on one knee when doing so :lol: :lol:
I suppose it's nicer than being called a Mo??is Dancer though :wink:
My ref. to Harrisons time piece was "poetic licence" so to say.
You're on the right lines though; keep an eye on ebay for the next couple of years, goodness knows what will be needed to bail this lot out :roll:
Might put in a bid myself, it would sit nicely next to my Octant :wink:

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: