alternative engine for a plus 2

PostPost by: desprit dan » Sun May 11, 2008 7:04 am

To be fair, when discussing alternative power plants for Elans, there may be the odd deviation from the path .
desprit dan
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: leedsj » Sun May 11, 2008 9:39 pm

so... will or will not the K-Series fit?
leedsj
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Mon May 12, 2008 10:16 pm

leedsj wrote:so... will or will not the K-Series fit?

yet to be established!! It fits under the nose of a Caterham, so my guess is theres room, however sump mods may be required and then the gearbox/bellhousing solved.
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon May 12, 2008 10:24 pm

Anything will go into anything. Just depends on what you want to achieve, and what skills / budget you have.

The easiest and cheapest would be a ..........Lotus Twincam.

I do like this Isetta Bubble car with 7 litre supercharged V8...piece of cake....

Mark
Attachments
isetta chevy 502 SC.JPG and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Tue May 13, 2008 1:29 am

Elanintheforest wrote:Anything will go into anything. Just depends on what you want to achieve, and what skills / budget you have.

The easiest and cheapest would be a ..........Lotus Twincam.

I do like this Isetta Bubble car with 7 litre supercharged V8...piece of cake....

Mark

that makes my Maestro turbo's look sensible/tame!! The guy who built the Isatta must have been on drugs..... if he wasn't, then perhaps he should be!!
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: davidj » Tue May 13, 2008 11:48 am

I don't think there will be any problem fitting a K series as it looks (have not measured) smaller than a lotus twin cam.

From my kit car days I remember there was an issue that the crank did not have a hole machined to take the gearbox input shaft needle roller bearing, but there are companies geared to do this mod.

David
davidj
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: brettfcars » Fri May 16, 2008 12:04 pm

Ok,intresting regarding the k series engine.

I have had experiance of this engine having owned a modified MGF with the elise spec k series engne in, no problems with the engine over the year i owned it , but the back end would break away when applying power around corners!

Now thinking of staying with the original engine (when one comes along and money available).
But thinking of fitting a 1600 modified crossflow in the car at moment to get the car moving and usable.
Any thoughts?
This must have been done before as seems an easy swap, with the engine power almost the same with a modified engine.
brettfcars
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri May 16, 2008 1:24 pm

Putting in a crossflow has a couple of challenges as well. I just measured my Twincam and Mexico. From top of block to top of cam cover on the twink is just short of 20cm. On the crossflow, to the top of the carb is 24cm (without air filter)...and the oil filler neck is at about the same height.

The twincam only just fits the Elan with regards height.

You could put a pair of Webers on the crossflow, and reduce the oil filler neck length on the crossflow. Or put a bump in the bonnet!

Mark
Attachments
pb9.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: brettfcars » Fri May 16, 2008 5:59 pm

Mark, thanks for reply.

Thinking of the following.
Alloy rocker cover, with flush oil cap and twin 40-45 dcoe sidedraft webbers ??????

Two questions though
presume will require crossflow exhaust-manifold ? or will lotus one fit ?
do the water conections look simlar ?

brett
brettfcars
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: brettfcars » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:12 am

Having made a couple of new posts recently, I rembered i hadn't up dated this post !

I originaly purchased a race tuned crossflow, from straight out of a race car as the owner was putting in a rebuilt motor which had set him back about ?4000.
In his first race he blew the engine up and so borght back his old engine from me +?100 as he new the engine was good! and needed one quick.

A stromberg twin cam engine came along at the right time at the right price.

The stromberg engine was out of a elan +2 and required a rebuild, but no major faults were found.
The biggest problem is i now find a humped bonnet is required !!!
brettfcars
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:04 pm

I have a Stromberg-bump bonnett (my car is a federal 1970 +2) whose bump is not clearing anything as a PO installed a weber head and carbs (for which I'm eternally grateful :) )

So I'm basically in the opposite situation.

I would love to have a streamlined no-bump bonnet as an alternate/spare, but I can't see giving up the original Stromberg-bump as it's part of the car's history/original equipment.

Sorry I can't help :(

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:07 am

Just found this V8 3 wheeled bubble car, while looking for somthing else
Crazy!
James
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:20 pm

Great topic, lots of friends old and new taking part, some no longer posting here?

K series engine was coveted by Ford, enough to make them consider buying Rover.

Alan
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:22 pm

How about a rwd cvh??? Normal found with a 4 or 5 speed box attached too. Bargain money for just shy of 100bhp standard in 1.8 form. Easily tuned and most even have an electronic ignition as factory standard.
Not that im biased but just put one in a seven replica. Very easy and nippy performance. All for a few hundred of the Queens finest.

Paul
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: oldchieft » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:28 pm

I recall that the CVH was fitted to the Morgan, around the time I fitted a type 9, 5 speed to my 4/4 X/flow engine.

I have a drawing of the parts needed to convert a CVH to rear wheel drive with a type 9 box. The drawing is 29 inch by 16 inch and includes the part numbers and Finis codes.

IMG_1098.jpg and
Drawing

If the someone can make a more user friendly copy of this drawing I will Snail Mail it and they can post it on the web site and send it back to me.

Jon the Chief
oldchieft
Third Gear
Third Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: