S2 dash switch orientation

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:42 pm

Over the years, I've had several opportunities to mess up the orientation of my dash switches. I am about to put the dash back in and thought I'd see if anyone has a definitive answer. Here is what I have now:

Light switch: up, off; center, parking; down, headlights

Courtesy light (left switch in row of three): center on, down off

Instrument lights (center switch): center off, up on

Heater fan (right switch): center on, down off

It seems that by turning the inst light switch around it would be more consistent, with the three switches normally down. How about the light switch?
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:05 pm

Hi Andy
I generally put all of the switches in where Off in the down position so at a glance you can tell that everything is off without doing a double check around the Elan. It could be that I have installed enough house light switches in my time and thats how I put those in too.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:00 pm

I just have this nagging feeling that for the headlight switch at least, up=off is correct. A British thing - can any S2 owners from the UK confirm? (These are toggle switches BTW, no labels on the dash.)
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:58 pm

Hi Andy

I did the easy thing this morning and tried to remember and got it wrong. The S1 manual has a dashboard layout in it shows all the switchs up, I looked at my S2 and I put them just like the manual. The left switch in the middle three is on for the electric fuel pump and is switched with the key.
Gary
Attachments
P2260510.jpg and
P2260511.jpg and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Barney » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:29 pm

Andy/Gary,

As mentioned the the typical UK method is Down = On.
All the switch gear in my S2 followed this convention when I bought the car and I haven't needed to change.
Whatever convention you use, it would be sensible to make all the same.

Cheers
BARNEY

p.s. My instrument lighting switch has been replaced by a spring loaded switch that operates an electric screen wash pump.
Elan S2 DHC (26-4399),
Barney
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:06 pm

Thanks, Gary and Barney. I'll invert the courtesy light and heater fan switches - those are easy at this stage.

Now I need to find something to fill the hole left by the departed headlight-up control. I converted to electric lifts and they operate automatically with the headlights. A hazard flasher would be ideal (for those rare occasions when the Elan breaks down).

By the way - when I converted the screen washer to electric, I was able to remove the old pump from the back of the wiper switch and replace it with a pushbutton from Radio Shack, somewhat reworked and epoxied in place. Pushing the knob activates the switch, so the effect is the same as before.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Might be getting picky here but the instrument lights were a primative rheostat , not an on off switch....
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:07 am

cabc26b wrote:Might be getting picky here but the instrument lights were a primative rheostat , not an on off switch....

Right you are. Over time, mine has devolved to a switch, except that it is by turns off and on over the length of its travel. Cleaning didn't help, but at least I do have instrument lights at some positions.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: