Fused relays or fuse box?

PostPost by: RichardS » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:05 am

I am renovating my engine bay wiring - everything is now working but I would like to put some extra fuses in as I have the original 2 fuse set up.

Vehicle Wiring do fused relays which look a simple way of protecting the lights/horn/fan wiring. They are fitted with a simple blade fuse. http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/V ... relays.php

Any advantages or disadvantages anyone could comment on. Alternative is to fit a 4 or 6 fuse fusebox in place of the original, as detailed in previous postings.

Richard
Lotus Elan Sprint FHC 1973
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:57 am

The fused relays are a good, flexible solution. I made up a small aux. panel with relays for the low and high beams and the horn and located it out of sight (and out of the weather) under the dash.

Currently, I'm revising the wiring to incorporate a five-relay, eight-fuse panel that I built. There are relays for the headlights, horn, heater fan, and fuel pump; and fuses for each of those circuits, plus headlight drive motors (replacing the vacuum) and the lights other than headlights. I retained the two-fuse box (replaced with new) to handle the remaining loads. The new panel fits just behind the dash, all the way over on the left side.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:04 pm

Thanks Andrew

The original relays on my car are tucked up under the nearside fibreglass bonnet rest and it will be an easy swap to some new fused relays.

Richard
Lotus Elan Sprint FHC 1973
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: frearther » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:32 pm

Andrew,

Do you have any photos of your installation?
Art Frederick
S2 Roadster, built in 1965, registered in 1966, No. 26/4934
Nothing else of interest at present
frearther
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:37 pm

Ah. The S2 was not originally blessed with relays.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: frearther » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:05 pm

What I meant was pictures of your new auxiliary panel installation. Sorry for the confusion.
Art Frederick
frearther
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:42 pm

frearther wrote:Andrew,

Do you have any photos of your installation?

Sure do... I've made a few small revisions since these were taken but the basic idea is the same.
Attachments
FuseRelayPanel.JPG and
Installed. There are two light aluminum sheet metal brackets - one screwed into the door frame on the left, and the other held to the wiper motor bracket by two of the wiper motor mounting nuts.
FuseRelayPanelBack.JPG and
Rear view. The courtesy lamp switch extends into the space between the fuse block and the relay bank when the door is closed.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: frearther » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:08 pm

Thanks, Andrew.

It looks great - nice clean work. That's going to be my next project.
Art Frederick
frearther
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 264889socal » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:09 pm

When I installed an alternator on my S2, I used a fuse box from a Datsun 240Z. Ten fuse locations. I used the original bobbins in the body where the voltage control box was mounted. to mount the new fuse box. An adaper plate, cut to the size of the new fuse box was required as the holes did not quite line up.

The new box was a bit on the corroded side, but some vinegar cleaned up all of the fuse clips and made the box useable. I did some wiring modifications to the rear of the fuse box, soldering all the connections, to split the fuses between switched and non-switched.

I then rerouted the wiring in the wiring harness to the new fuse box. Now all the circuits are individuallt fused, both switched and non-switched. Then removed the original two fuse box. Only had to extend a couple of wires other than the new wiring from the alternator to the starter solenoid and then back to the new fuse location. I increased the wiring gauge of those wires for the additional amperage supplied by the new alternator. I then used some adhesive backed lable paper, stuck to the inside of the fuse box cover to create a diagram of each fuse, size and circuit. The cover is indexed so identification of each fuse is easy.

Rob
264889socal
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:31 pm

RotoFlexible wrote:Currently, I'm revising the wiring to incorporate a five-relay, eight-fuse panel that I built. There are relays for the headlights, horn, heater fan, and fuel pump; and fuses for each of those circuits, plus headlight drive motors (replacing the vacuum) and the lights other than headlights. I retained the two-fuse box (replaced with new) to handle the remaining loads. The new panel fits just behind the dash, all the way over on the left side.

I just put power to the system for the first time. Everything works, nothing smokes - life is good :D
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: type36lotus » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:24 am

I did both, a fuse block for all the regular stuff and fused relays for the lights and horn with direct leads from the battery, which is really not proper as you want to have fuses as near the power source as possible. They are there to keep the wiring for becoming flaming heating elements with the only intent to burn you car to the ground. Here is my ATO fuse block. The fuse block and fuses are Marine grade so no rusting.
Attachments
fuse and barrier_4.JPG and
Fuse block and barrier terminal
Mike Geiger
66 S3 Coupe', no more :-(
type36lotus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:35 am

I had Autosparks in the UK fabricate a replacement wiring loom for my Elan +2. I sent the original as a pattern. I requested many upgrades including additional relays, fuses and larger gauge wires in important areas. I also had it wired for an alternator and voltage gauge.

I am posting a photo of my underhood showing the additional relays mounted on the firewall in lieu of the voltage regulator, added fuses and "standard" relays.

Bob
1969 Elan +2
Attachments
100_0019.jpg and
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:24 am

Old thread revival.
Are there any additions to this tread. I'm trying to split out circuits on an S4 and want better fuse protection. Would like it to look period if possible.
Any ideas

James
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: