New Or Old Switches?

PostPost by: Christian67 » Tue May 10, 2005 2:51 am

Hello all

I am currently restoring my Elan S4 (new to this) and have purchased a new dash. I intended to re-use the switches but they are too small for the new dash. Is there a way of re-using the original switches or should I replace the lot with the new larger size? What brand of switch is now used? Any help will be gratefully appreciated.

Christian
Christian67
New-tral

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Tue May 10, 2005 11:59 am

Christian,

You must either have the wrong dashboard or switches

The S4 should have oblong rocker switches mounted from the rear of the dashboard. Up to series 3 they had toggle switches and you cannot interchange them.

Assuming your car had the correct S4 dash and you have bought the correct replacement your existing switches should fit. There are no larger alternative switches

John
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Tue May 10, 2005 12:08 pm

Do the best you can with the old switches. New rocker switches are made of unobtainium.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ElliottN » Tue May 10, 2005 1:50 pm

In what way are they too small? Width, height, depth or all of the above?
Elliott - 70 S4 dhc
ElliottN
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: M100 » Tue May 10, 2005 3:11 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-gjz30075+May 10 2005, 12:08 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (gjz30075 @ May 10 2005, 12:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Do the best you can with the old switches. New rocker switches are made of unobtainium. [/quote]
Miles Wilkins (Fibreglass Services) and Paul Matty have most if not all the S4 / +2 rocker switches in stock (NEW)
Martin
72 Sprint DHC
M100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Tue May 10, 2005 5:40 pm

Sue Miller also has a stock of new S4 switches.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Wed May 11, 2005 1:04 am

I contacted Miles Wilkens and he said he did not have replacement rocker switches. I do not think anyone has a supply of them.

I have found new replacements t6hat require a slight modification of the dash at the rear but otherwise are identical. The quantities required to purchase are greater than I need so I have offered them to Dave Bean. I have yet to hear from him. I will post a message if they are again available.
Bob
1969 Elan +2
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Christian67 » Wed May 11, 2005 3:21 am

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Elliot
The rocker switches I have are as John described (oblong/ rectangle) and the replacement dash type is correct. However, the cut-outs for the switches are wider than the original and leave an ugly gap.

Steve
Can you post the contact details for Sue Miller? I am from Australia and am not familiar with this name.

Cheers Christian
Christian67
New-tral

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Wed May 11, 2005 11:39 am

Christian,

Susan Miller (Code for UK) then 01728 603307 :)

But................... the switches she has will be like the ones you have already!

If the dash is not well made you would be better to send it back for a refund and get a better one.

The apertures around the switches are a bit gappy .... they are not a close fit
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Wed May 11, 2005 11:57 am

Christian,
As nebogipfel says the switches do have a gap around them, the front part of the switch measures + - 16.5mm accross and the dash gap measures + - 20mm, what are your dash/switch measurments?
Brian
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Wed May 11, 2005 4:05 pm

I seem to remember Sue saying she had some switches but not the whole set, so don't throw anything away yet.

Someone told me the old switches shine up nicely with a bit of silicone brake fluid rubbed onto them (or I imagine any silicone polish would do as well)
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Wed May 11, 2005 5:28 pm

ArmourAll plastic polish and a bit of elbow grease also brings up old switches very nicely :D

BTW I would be happy to take a close up picture of my cars original dash and switches so you can see what it should look like, Remember the Elan is a 30+ year old British car that were never know for their build quality. A bit of a gap around the switches is normal B)
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Wed May 11, 2005 6:49 pm

I just refurbished mine with vinyl coat (a coating designed to recolour plastics) with very good results

Internally the switches are a fairly simple design if you are careful they can be taken apart and the contacts cleaned. They do grow a green "fur coat" particularly if unused for some time

I agree don't throw any away Susan certainly has some but not all.

If the size of the switches is the problem then the dash is at fault as I said previously

That said ........ I have been fitting mine in a new dash today and the gaps are quite wide but it's as Steve says that's the way they used to make them! We have got used to modern cars where everything fits and has tiny gaps :)
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ElliottN » Wed May 11, 2005 6:55 pm

Christian - My switch width measurements are pretty much as per Brian - about 19-20 mm wide openings. I have original switches and they fit neatly

Where did you get the replacement dash?

I'm in Sydney - where in Australia are you?

Finally - nice tip about the silicon furniture polish - I've tried Armourall without a great result so far though - maybe not enough elbow grease!

rgds.
Elliott - 70 S4 dhc
ElliottN
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Christian67 » Thu May 12, 2005 7:32 am

Hello all, thankyou again!!

It seems I am going to have to be satisfied with gappy switches, which is ok if it is normal. My switch recess width is 21-22mm and my switch is 16mm.

The dash was purchased through Christopher Neil in the UK, so returning the dash would be too difficult and expensive. Other than the gaps the dash looks great.

Elliot, I am from Canberra and would like to chat more. Email me at [email protected] or [email protected]

Have so much to learn!!

Cheers Christian
Christian67
New-tral

Total Online: