Indicators not working!

PostPost by: KevinM » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:24 pm

Fresh from the success of sorting out my Lotocone issue I need your collective help to resolve my latest fun and games please....

My left indicators, front and rear work only intermittently (no not approx once every second!), when they do work they appear perfectly normal, not overly slow or quick then without warning they just refuse to operate. The symptoms are the same when using the hazard switch, sometimes the left side works, sometimes not. I have tried running new earths on the front and the rear and have replaced the flasher unit with without sucess, any thoughts?

Kevin
KevinM
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:18 pm

Kevin,

The earths would be first thought - but you've done that!

I would guess there must be a corroded connection somewhere (probably a bullet connector). I suppose dirty switch contacts on the column switch might also give similar symptoms.

Good luck
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: kenny » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:34 pm

Having recently fitted a brand new loom and dash I had the same problems on the indicators.
I like you thought I'd done everything with regards to earthing.
After fully cleaning all the indicator housings and connectors with contact cleaner and refitting the rear earth wires to a new chassis earth.......bingo!!!!
The other thing I noticed was that every earth I renewed and every new earthing point I made the lights went brighter and things happened faster.

I was told before I started by chaps on here just how important good clean and plentiful earthing is...how right they were.
I know it's a pain but I'd still be looking for an earth fault.

Regards,
Kenny
kenny
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: KevinM » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:23 pm

Thanks for the suggestions...I guess it's time to reinvestigate the earths, I'll let you know how I fair....
KevinM
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:51 pm

If it has a dynamo and not an alternator, revving the engine may generate enough volts to overcome poor connections and make things work properly!! :wink:

Also, my wife says check the connections between bulb & bulb holder in the lamp units themselves.... :idea:

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:05 pm

Kevin,

I have experienced the same problem in the past. Sometimes a bulb may be on it's last leg (or filimant). I would switch the left side front and rear bulbs to the right and visa versa. If the problem moves to the right side, well now you've got a clue. Let us all know what it is when you find it.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:44 am

Following on from what Matthew mentioned.
I had a problem with indicators flashing slowly or not at all.
It was caused by the fan belt slipping so the alternator was not charging properly.

Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:24 am

I've found two other faults that can occur.

Bad earth.
You may register a good earth at the tail light (indicator) housing but it is possible that corrosion between the pressed in sheet metal lamp holder & the die cast housing causes a poor or no earth.
Solder earth wires to all of the lamp holders.

Indicator switch.
The wires going into the the steering column stalk are quite thick (& heavy), vibtation can cause a fracture where the wires are soldered into the switch.
Resolder or preferably re-wire with thinner more flexible wires that will cope with the amperage.

John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: denicholls2 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:13 pm

The original flashers are triggered by the load of the bulbs heating up a bimetallic element in the flasher relay. When this happens, that circuit opens and the blinker relay closes, lighting the lamps. When it cools back down, the cycle starts over again.

Use of low-current LED bulbs will not generate enough current load to trigger the initial flash. If you've added them, this could be your problem. A poor connection anywhere in the circuit (ground or supply) can cause the same effect.

Note: I tried switching to a modern relay that claimed it was not load-sensing and still the same issue. Went back to the original bulbs and all is fine.
denicholls2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: KevinM » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:34 pm

Success!! After trying most of your suggestions without any joy I eventually discovered a loose connection in the snakes wedding behind the dash board. Now I have two serviceable sets of indicators and a spare, new, flasher unit! Thanks for all of the advice.

Kevin
KevinM
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: