Cigar Lighter Wiring

PostPost by: archigator » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:20 am

Does anyone have a photograph of how the wiring attaches to the cigar lighter on a baby Elan (Sprint, if possible)? The standard S4 wiring diagram shows a red/white wire from the Panel Light Switch connected directly with a bullet connector to a black wire (ground?) that in-turn attaches to the cigar lighter somewhere. Also a Purple feed wire from the fuse box and another black wire to ground both attach to the lighter seperately, somehow, somewhere. I believe the third wire, the "black wire to ground" attaches to the blade mounted on the rear side of the lighter. How and where do the other wires attach? Thanks.

Gary
'71 Elan Sprint
Miami, Florida
archigator
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:55 am

Gary,

From memory, the red/white wire powers the light that is attached to the lighter. The purple wire powers the lighter. As I recall this wire was covered with some sort of black insulation to protect it from the heat. You only need one black ground wire to ground both of these. Hope this helps.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: archigator » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:16 am

Frank,

Thanks for your quick response. I just found this photo of a replacement lighter on the Moss Motors site, and I see it has a "bump" on the side into which the Red/White lighting wire runs... My lighter is missing the "bump." That's part of the reason for my confusion. I assume the red connector in the photo (shown without wire attached) is the ground. The Brown/Yellow wire shown here is actually a Purple feed wire with a black insulation wrap on the Lotus. (The S4 wiring diagram shows a Purple wire turning to Black just before attaching to the cigar lighter, which made no sense (as Black is always ground). Now much clearer... as this must be the black insulating wrap.

Gary
'71 Elan Sprint
Miami, Florida
Attachments
Cigar Lighter Moss Motors.jpg and
Last edited by archigator on Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
archigator
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:35 am

Gary,

You've got it! If you're missing the light, you could almost fabricate one out of tin if you have a socket laying around. Or you could buy a complete lighter at any auto parts store which no doubt will be far superior to the one that came with the car as you have to hold the lighter in with your hand until you think it is ready. The store bought ones click in and pop out when ready. But I suppose you're not all that interested in the lighter function. Probably want it for your radar detector and/or your phone.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: archigator » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:39 am

Frank,

I'm trying to get all of my dash lights, switches, etc. in good working order just for the sake of it. I've visited the Ferrari Concours in Palm Beach the past few years and everything works on those old beauties, so why not my Elan :P

Gary
'71 Elan Sprint
Miami, Florida
archigator
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:32 am

Gary wrote, "I've visited the Ferrari Concours in Palm Beach the past few years and everything works on those old beauties, so why not my Elan"

The answer in a word is Lucas, but I doubt those Italian electronics had everything working either.
Be careful with that cigar lighting wiring, a lotta amps for what? Cancer sticks? Use matches. Do you really need it? Are you hooking it up so concours judges can test it?
Do any of you (other than members in Holland) actually use the lighters?
Electrical fires around cigar liters in early Elans have probably contributed to what,,, five or ten percent of species disappearance?
I especially like the part about the purple wire with the extra black insulation due to excessive heat...
Signed, paranoid eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: archigator » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:54 pm

Without a working Lighter, how am I to "add lightness?"

Gary
'71 Elan Sprint
Miami, Florida
archigator
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:53 pm

Hi Gary

When I made the dash for my Elan I left the Lighter and ash tray out, that was part of my consession for adding lightness. I don't smoke anyhow.
Attachments
65_dash_done_small.jpg and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:08 pm

The only bit of kit you need to take on a run in an Elan is a mobile phone...keep it charged with the cig lighter. Wouldn't be without one.
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:43 pm

"The only bit of kit you need to take on a run in an Elan is a mobile phone...keep it charged with the cig lighter. Wouldn't be without one.
Mark"

A credit card helps with the rest...
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Rob_LaMoreaux » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:44 pm

Elanintheforest wrote:The only bit of kit you need to take on a run in an Elan is a mobile phone...keep it charged with the cig lighter. Wouldn't be without one.
Mark

On mine I also need the GPS so I don't have to worry about going too fast and getting a ticket. Some day I might get the Speedo working, but until then the GPS works.

Then of course there is the compressor for adjusting tire pressures at autocrosses, not to mention the cell phone charger.
Rob_LaMoreaux
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:26 pm

In 1998 I did a cross-country trip in my S4 Elan, 19 States and 3 Canadian Provinces. About 9000 miles in 23 days and didn't have or want a cell phone. I had a lot of cofidence in the Elan as I had rebuilt most of it from a roller, I guess if you don't know the car you are driving a cell may be standard equipment. The Elan did die on me in Michigan when I was out with my cousin, the hot lead to the coil broke, a tug on the wire confirmed it and I stripped the ends of the wires and twisted them together and we were off.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jrwiseman » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:54 pm

Rob_LaMoreaux wrote:
Elanintheforest wrote:Then of course there is the compressor for adjusting tire pressures at autocrosses, not to mention the cell phone charger.

Ah the dreaded compressor did mine in at an autocross ! No fire however :)

john
jrwiseman
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: