Radio Suppression issues

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:29 pm

Hi,

Am having problems with the site's Search function, so apologies for asking what is probably a well-documented question:

What's the best solution for radio suppression?

I'm fitting an original early '70's LW/MW radio into a baby elan, fitted with an alternator.

From very dim and distant past, seem to remember that the live feed will need a capacitor, as will the alternator ... but what ratings?

Additionally, other equipment may require suppression ... eg wiper motor.

Any help much appreciated.

Regards,
Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gordonlund » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:50 pm

Ditch the old radio and get a modern piece of equipment which has in built supression and much better electronics than the old steam driven radios. If you can trace back a couple of months some threads went into detail in fitting modern innards to old radios giving you the best of both worlds. If you are desparate for originality then this is the only course. Trying to suppress an old radio set up in a GRP car is virtually impossible.

Regards

Gordon
gordonlund
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:49 am

Using standard auto radio noise suppressors ( capacitors) that you used to be able to buy at any auto electrical store my plus 2 with its original tunalock radio works fine.

Suppressors are on feed wire to radio, alternator output, ignition coil input and modern supressed ignition leads and no significant noise in the radio. I have never fitted the metal plate over the plug well that was supposedly on the later cars to also help noise suppression.

regards
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pmallinson » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:58 am

Stu

I thought you were going for the 'secret audio' thing ?? :roll:

Get your hand in your pocket :P
Peter Mallinson
[email protected]
pmallinson
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:21 pm

Hi Peter,

Will probably still go that route, but will still need a 'period' radio in the dash. And if I'm going to fit it, well it might as well be made to work !

Pocket's a bit empty at the moment (new engine looming).

Rohan,

Thanks for the info.

Regards,
Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: