2 Battery Questions

PostPost by: jmesh » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:10 pm

After reinstalling the battery (a new Interstate Megatron) and putting a spider crack in the paint, despite being careful, my new battery is dead from sitting in the car for 3 weeks. Argh!

So, I'm thinking of moving the battery from its "proper" location on the left hand side of the trunk (boot :) ) to the area behind the seats, still in the trunk. I haven't seen any discussions on this. Is it a difficult transition? Is there a kit I can buy?

Also, I'm considering replacing it with a smaller oddyssey battery that can mounted any which way. I'd like to do this because the car was just converted to neg ground and the terminals are currently on the outboard side of the trunk. What size do people recommend? Is there anything I should be aware of?

Jason
The Dumb Current Owner of 1967 Elan 45-6779
jmesh
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ianf » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:58 pm

Jason,

If the battery is the right size it fits nicely in the N/S wing space. I have a -ive ground car so you probably just neet to turn the battery round and change the terminal position. The power lead on your car will need shortening which is better than the other way. I have fitted a cut off switch to the +ive battery terminal. I believe that Elan batteries can discharge if left connected and although I can't switch off from the cabin I'm happy with the solution and the power is cut at source.

Cheers,

Ian
ianf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: oldokie » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:46 pm

Sounds like you've got a current draw when everything should be off, the sooner you find it the less likely it is to bite your wallet later. Sears has a clamp-on ACDC amp meter for about $100, I couldn't live without mine!
oldokie
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:53 pm

Hi Jason

I tihnk you were describing something like in the photo. The battery is help in place with an alloy u shaped clamp over the top with a couple of fixed bolts up through the fibre glass from the bottom.

cheers
Rohan
Attachments
battery in centre front of boot.JPG and
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Leo Leentvaar » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:33 pm

That looks like a hefty piece of equipment RGH0. mate, it almost fills the complete boot space :D I suppose it will surely pack some mega-amps but where do you leave the spare wheel and luggage if you embark on a trip?

I did fit a power cut switch near the battery in the top of the LH boot.
Just to avoid juice deminishing when the car is hibernating and as an added immobilising tool. :P . These power cut switches don't cost that much and are easily installed.
Leo Leentvaar
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: sk178ta » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:39 am

Leo, I think the hefty equipment you`re looking at is the fuel cell (tank) in Rohan`s race car which doesn`t carry much luggage !! The battery is the battery looking thing tucked under the front of the boot ! DOH !!!
Jim
sk178ta
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Leo Leentvaar » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:53 am

:oops: sorry it now makes sense to me. and when it's a racer you wouldn't need any luggage space at all. 8)
Leo Leentvaar
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:37 am

I'm putting a gel cell battery [ from a wheel chair im told ] in my ?lan and 7 as they are powerful enough to start the car all day and are light and can be mounted any position ----the alternator takes over after its running any how ----they start and run the vee all weekend without a recharge ---ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jmesh » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:30 am

Well, it seems I may have more of a problem than just a dead battery.

I jumped the car yesterday and the car started immediately and would run as long as the battery charger was hooked up to the battery. Once disconnected, the car would die.

Before taking delivery of the car, I had it converted to negative ground. I've still got a generator but plan to upgrade to an alternator.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for all the responses so far,

Jason
jmesh
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:20 am

It sounds like your new battery is junk, try another battery

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jmesh » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:15 am

Thanks Gary. I'm just waiting for the new one to arrive.

But I'm a little concerned that the new battery won't charge. Does this seem possible given my description above?

Jason
(who is probably the worst mechanic on the list!)
jmesh
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:54 am

Before taking delivery of the car, I had it converted to negative ground. I've still got a generator but plan to upgrade to an alternator.

Bit basic but-Is the battery connected the right way?

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jmesh » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:15 pm

I'm not that bad a mechanic. :wink:

Yes. The battery terminals are now on the outboard side of the car so the cables will reach. That's part of the reason I want to go to the Odyssey battery.

Would the car have started on the charger if I'd connected the terminals incorrectly?

Jason
jmesh
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: oldokie » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:16 pm

Two thoughts,(my limit for the day, I've been told, in my case, a fresh idea and a cool drink of water could be fatal) First, Ed, I don't know about gel-cells but lead-acid deep-cycles have a short life span in automotive applications because they need to be drawen down before recharging. 2nd, Jason, get a multimeter, battery voltage should be 12.5 roughly with the car shut off, and about 14 @ 2500 RPM.
Gene
oldokie
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: