signal-stat flasher unit

PostPost by: DaveyBoy » Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:33 pm

I see from browsing previous posts that i'm not alone with hazard flasher unit problems. My hazards lamps work fine, but the tell-tale tells no tale, as it were.

I have a 3 terminal "Signal-stat 180 12V Flasher". I've pulled the thing apart and with a bit of prodding have managed to get it to light the tell-tale on its first "click", but after that the little arm doesn't move. I guess it's simply not building up enough charge after that first pulse.

Does anyone know of a supplier of these units or whether the 3 terminal ones from Matty's are the same. The other question is whether there is something I can do to boost the current to the unit? If that sounds like a stupid question you will have to excuse my naivety as electrics are not my strong point.
DaveyBoy
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:08 am

Hi There

The one I used can be seen if you follow the link below, about half way down the page.

http://www.searchsmart.co.uk/lotus/2006_jan_feb.htm

If you are getting 12v to the unit it should be fine. These units can be picked up s/h for next to nothing.

Hope that helps.

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: denicholls2 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:01 pm

The symptoms you have are consistent with the use of LED bulbs. Are you doing this?

The "tell-tale" is oddly a leading indicator of insufficient current draw for the flasher unit, which is a bimetallic relay (like blinking Christmas tree bulbs).

In my case, I can run LED rear lights (Europa S2) and get exactly your symptoms (1 flash, with the actual indicators working fine). If I put in LED fronts, all blinking ceases.

If you're not using LED bulbs, you have some bad connections.

There are electronic replacements that don't use current load. Perhaps someone has a known easy replacement for reference.
denicholls2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: