STE Synchrometer

PostPost by: ianf » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:14 pm

Brian Buckland's book which I was fortunate enough to receive for Christmas recommends the above carb balancing tool. Having bought one a couple of weeks ago and having spent 15 minutes in the garage with it the car has never run so well (the carbs have obviously been out of balance for the last 10 years!). Even my MOT man on Saturday was complimentary about the smooth (ish) idle!

Thanks Brian.

Ian
ianf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mcclelland » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:11 pm

Hi Ian,

Where did you get the synchrometer from, and whats the cost of it? I need one and its always good to get a reccomendation.

Ta, regards George
George McC.
1968 S4 Elan dhc.(now sold)
1973 Plus2 S130/5
1994 Elan M100 S2
mcclelland
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ianf » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:10 pm

George,

I bought it by phone from Eurocarb in Reading 0118 943 1180. They charged me ?40 incl post. It arrived the next day.

Cheers,

Ian
ianf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: sulzeruk » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:35 pm

The are an excellent thing, easy to use as well. I did a friends Ferrari 308 GT4 (4 DCNF Webers!) in about an hour yestersday with mine, he says it hasn't went so well in ages after doing it. Webers and the Dellortos hold there tune pretty well! Worth checking once in a while though!
Al Cowan
sulzeruk
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:13 am

Hi

I have one and they are well worth the investment. For a +2 with the trumpets on you need a right angle adapter to get it on the back carb (pedal box in the way in the UK). I use a right angle waste from a sink. It fits perfectly.

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: oldokie » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:55 pm

I have a UNISYN, bought years ago for the SUs on my MGA. Works great on Webers, etc. Doesn't need an adapter as it folds for tight fitting sidedrafts. It also works on Ferraris, I set up a friend's 246, when we went to test it I said, "Punch it", well, the street was damp and we ended up in some chap's driveway sideways. The next week the whole Ferrari club is after me to do their carbs.
oldokie
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:28 pm

Hi.

This is a copy of a reply that I posted to this a while back: http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12489

I bought a four column manometer from ebay that works really nicely! It's made by Carbtune, and I bought it from Eurocarb ltd.

It's supplied with 4 rubber tubes and adaptors that screw into the barrel of the carb on the vacuum side - at least they did on the Dellortos on my engine. The ad says it fits DCOE also.

Tuning the airflow took seconds once it was hooked up. The engine ran beautifully afterwards.

They also sell a two column manometer, and a vacuum guage that fits into the trumpet at the inlet to the carb. Personally I prefer the one that I have 'cause I don't have to take the airbox off or disturb anything else; just have to remove a little screw from each barrel and screw in the adaptors.

It was ?50.

I've added a couple of photos that I took some time ago - happened to be on the hdd so hope they're of interest.

Sean.
Attachments
Dellortos with synchroniser - closeup.jpg and
Dellortos with synchroniser.jpg and
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:44 pm

Sean,

I'm not so sure that this will fit most Elan owners with Webers as standard.

Later weber-fitted cars (maybe) ?

I thought for most webers, that each inlet manifold had to be drilled and tapped ?

Regards,
Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:13 pm

I thought there was an adaptor for the webers also; can't remember off the top of my head. I think it was supplied with two sets of screw in adaptors, one for webers, and one for Dellortos. I think this was discussed in a previous post.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: