Plus 2 radios

PostPost by: mac5777 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:09 am

Bob, I installed the custom speakers that Secret Audio makes with the Bose type bass sounds. I attached them on the back panel behind the seats. Rotoflexible, the towers are not in the way.

Bob you must be better than I at reading the instructions. I installed a manual antenna as it was easier for me to figure out.

I'm still looking for a spring or gas hinge for the radio dash blank to hide the radio controls. When I get one that works I will post a picture and the source.

Sarto
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:40 pm

mac5777 wrote:I'm still looking for a spring or gas hinge for the radio dash blank to hide the radio controls. When I get one that works I will post a picture and the source.

Sarto

I spent some time yesterday on the Rockler woodworking website looking for hinges. It looks like we need a minature version of a hinge for a frameless inset cabinet door, but I couldn't find one. (I also couldn't find the push-release catch but I know someone I can ask about it.) I was thinking of making a simple hinge by drilling the bottom sides of the blank and inserting thin rod or piano wire, and cutting matching grooves on the back of the dash with some means of retaining the rods. But it sounds like you may want to hinge the blank at the top rather than the bottom.

It also sounds like you bought the Custom Autosound "Undercover" speakers which appear to be surface mounts - correct? I was thinking of speakers that would flush-mount into the bulkhead with just grilles showing.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:14 pm

Hi Andrew,
You are right about the speakers. Originally I wanted to place flush mounted speakers in the back panel. But I went for the bose type sound instead.
My Volvo has a cup holder lid that if you push it, it raises up and to close it, just push it back down and it locks. There has to be latch that can be used and handle the weight.
The rod is a good idea. Setting the hinge so that when the blank plate is closed it fits flush. A hinge could work either way, top or bottom, I like the top better, I think. A screw on hinge would be great as long as it does not have to do any wood work to the dash, if possible. Could be a little business.
Mine came with a flip down bracket for under the dash attachment which I have missed place and still looking for it. It should give some ideas about attaching the controls to the radio blank.
I fused the radio directly to the battery in the boot, keeping the radio away from AM engine interference. I also use a manual flush antenna purchased anywhere. I have a new dash so making all of the attachments while the dash is out will be alot easier.
I will have a Afican rosewood dash for sale soon, made by Randy at Prestige auto wood. The picture shows the glove box hinging with a cord.

I'll let you know what I find.

Sarto
Attachments
DSC00256.JPG and
DSC00001.JPG and
DSC00010a.JPG and
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:55 pm

Beautiful dash! I am in the process of refinishing mine in straight-grain mahogany. After all the work I'm putting into it, I may wish I had sprung for a burl or exotic wood...
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:56 pm

I have attached a photo of the power antenna installed in my +2. The wiring is incomplete as I am waiting for the padding and carpeting to complete the installation.

Bob
Attachments
100_0015.jpg and
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gordonlund » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:31 pm

Sorry Oldokie,

I have not looked at this string for a bit now. FM/AM Frequency Modulated / Amplitude modulated. FM is the better signal clarity but has range deficiency. Need to be near a radio mast hence lots of them. LW/ MW British radio speak for Long Wave and Medium wave. Favourates of the old BBC (British Boadcasting Corporation) These are AM signals which are not used much now in car radios. We all use FM now, much better for interferrance free radio signals. As you may have guesed now, I am British.

Gordon Lund
Rhubarb & Custard
gordonlund
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alexkirkham » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:02 pm

I have a nakamichi head unit with a couple of amps (all in the boot) & speakers at the front and back. I soldered a 15 core cable onto the head unit, leading ato a vga plug at the front near the dash. the faceplate of the stereo has a cable coming out of it (quite easy to take it apart and solder the connections) with the other part of the vga plug, so I have a plug-in, removeable faceplate for the front of the car...

the radio reception is excellent - probably much better then the american spec secret audio (which I looked at) and the nakamichi head unit sounds superb. I put the CDs in in the boot and I have the wire for my ipod going to the front.

this is probably the cheapest option for a hidden stereo!
alexkirkham
New-tral

PostPost by: peter greening » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:20 pm

Hi,
I have a +2 130/5 with the usual problem of very little space for the radio.
I've bought a Philips Turnolock from Ebay (?102 i think) & have sent it off to Walmsley Classics to clean it up / check it over + add an ipod / MP3 / portable CD or FM radio feed (?56 inc postage).
The radio has a cable coming out of the back of it that will be routed into the glove box & just plugs into the headphone socket of whatever ipod etc you fancy. To switch between the MW/LW radio & the ipod you just press the existing 'loud' button on the front of the Turnolock radio- it's the left hand one with the musical 'note' on it.
It's a brilliant conversion, fits easily & is cheap!
Roger seems a great person + it only took a couple of weeks to get it back.
His details are:
Roger Beasley
Walmley classics
0121 3111588
07970 424616

460 Walmley Road
Sutton Coldfield
Birmingham
B76 1PD

BTW I'm UK based as you've probably guessed.
peter greening
New-tral

PostPost by: mikealdren » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:58 pm

Alex,
Can you tell me more about your head unit please? Does it fit in the right depth for a +2. What functions does it have, Radio/CD/??
I'm looking for something for my car but I want it to look the part. Do you have any pictures?
thanks
Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: seaandmoor » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:26 pm

Hi Peter,
Wish I'd heard of Walmsley Classics in Birmingham. I had my Turnolock done same as you. However, mine doesn't have a lead for FM as you seem to suggest and I had mine converted so that the Turnolock radio will actually receive FM itself. Have I understood you correctly?
Vintage Wireless in Manchester charged me ?240 for this work.
Did Walmsley Classics really only charge ?56 for the same work?
Did both companies carry out the same work or was the work carried out on mine ?184 more in fact?
Also the quality through the original speakers is brilliant without any interference so it can be done.
Seaandmoor
seaandmoor
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: peter greening » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:30 pm

Hi Seeandmoor,
Apologies if I wasn't clear.
The cable coming out of the back of the Turnolock has a standard Jackplug on it so you can plug it into the headphone socket of whatever portable mp3 / radio / cd player you have. This means you can plug a portable FM radio into it to get FM radio through the Turnolock.
Many mp3 players have FM built in- it's an easy / cheap solution to get the Turnolock working as the MW/LW is not exactly useful or good nowadays!
It's not an FM radio like yours has become, but I prefer the music on my ipod to the radio's anyway (can't hear Radio 4 with the exhaust noise).
As to cost, yes it was ?50 + ?6 P&P.
Cheers
Peter
peter greening
New-tral

PostPost by: oldokie » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:55 pm

Gordon, Thank you so much for the AM/FM -LW/MW answer!!!! I can't tell you how many times I've asked that question over the last 30 years (bought the +2 in '77) and all I got was a blank stare!!!!!!! Thanks again.
oldokie
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: chrishewett » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:10 pm

Peter,
I have been trying to get hold of Roger Beasley for about a week now, to no avail. Did you have problems contacting him? I spoke to his wife today and she promised he would call back within the hour but did not. Does he have a proper business or is this just a sideline?
I can't say I am impressed sofar.
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Si_130/5 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:46 pm

Hello oldokie,

Your Pye radio could have been an original fitting, my S130/5 has a Pye Major at ?45 specified on the order sheet from 1973 although it's true most had Philips Turnolocks.

Mac 5777,
Just a thought but why not try to mount the radio blanking plate using the same hinges and push release used on the late S130 glove box lid?

Best wishes,

Si
Si_130/5
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: peter greening » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:23 pm

Hi Chris,
He was pretty reliable with me- it is Easter so he may be having a week or two off.
Try his mobile 07970 424616.

I thought the lady who answered the phone was his daughter, but I'm probably completely wrong!

The radio was very good when I got it back- can't fault the workmanship or the price.....

Peter
peter greening
New-tral

PreviousNext

Total Online: