Headlight Turn & Pull Switch

PostPost by: pcosta » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:21 am

Hi all,
I'm a recent owner of a +2S 130/5 from 1973 and I think I have a problem with Headlight Turn & Pull Switch.
In first place I think this type of switch only exists in the late +2S/130 cars. The 2 seater never had this type of switch. Can anyone confirm this?

The problem with mine is that when I turn it, the presence lights are turned on, the pods come up and the headlights are also turned on. And then, if I pull it nothing more happens.

Mine Owners Manual and Worshop Manual don't have any reference to this type of switch (they should be from an older car).

can anyone explain me how this switch should work?
I think that when we turn it only the presence lights should be turned on and then, when we pull it the pods should come up and the headlights should be turned on.

Another question: the front fog lamps should always be turned on when we press the rocker switch or only when the presence lights, or even the headlights, are turned on?

Thanks in advance
Paulo Costa
Portugal
pcosta
New-tral

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:02 am

Paulo

You are correct the, turning the knob should just turn on the side lights and pulling it out should raise the headlights and turn them on. In my manual the revised electrics in the later S130 cars was covered very poorly and briefly in a section M38 page 118 of the electrical section. Lotus did not spend to much money updating the manual for these changes! Unfortunately the updated wiring diagram for these revised electrics that is supposed to be included at the end of section M38 is missing from my manual so cant confirm how it was suppossed to be wired. Does anyone have a copy of these diagrams they are referred to in the text as numbers LSL.205 and LSL.211

The fog light switch works independently of the headlight switch for at least the S130 cars according to my owners manual for my car.

regards
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:33 am

I've taken a couple of these switches apart and the problem is usually down to the plastic bush inside. The bush has brass tongues down the sides of it and make the connection for the sidelights when the knob is turned on, the plastic part insulating the connection when off. When the knob is pulled out, the brass ring around the top of this bush makes the connection for the headlights also.

The last time I took one apart the plastic had melted slightly due to botched connections resulting in strange operations. You can clean them up and make them work - I filed the plastic smooth again.

It may be something like this or maybe it has been re-assembled incorrectly by someone. If you take it out it will be obvious how it supposed to work and what is causing it not to.

Here's how it should be wired too (sorry for the small file, it's all I have):

Alternatively you can get a new switch, but I gather they are now slightly different in operation - something like Turn, Pull, Turn.

Hope this helps.
Attachments
Circuit.gif and
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:44 pm

pcosta wrote:I think that when we turn it only the presence lights should be turned on and then, when we pull it the pods should come up and the headlights should be turned on.

Paulo,

If your headlight pods have been converted to electrical operation (as opposed to vacuum operation) it sound like you have the same headlight switch that came on my '74 Europa Special. So if you get to the point where you want a new switch, but don't know where to get one, try ordering one of these. Hope this helps.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:25 pm

Paulo and Frank,

I too needed a new Pull and Twist switch for electrically switched headlights. Mine had been previously bodged!

A new reproduction Lucas PPG1 switch can be obtained from Tim Hodgekisss www.vintagemotorspares.com for a reasonable price of ?17.

Regards

Gerry M
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:17 am

Robbie
Thanks for the wiring diagram just what I needed

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pcosta » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:15 am

Hi,

Thank you for all your replies!!!

This weekend I taked off the switch and it's working fine, the problem was bad wiring. The presence lights and the headlights were all connected to the same terminal. This time I had luck and I still need a lot of it :)

Gerry M, is the switch that you are talking about, only for cars converted to electric popup instead of original vacum system? Mine is working with the original vacum fail safe system.

My fog lights are working independently of the headlight. I think it will be a problem to pass the portuguese MOT but I'll verify it in a MOT center.

Thank you
Paulo COsta
pcosta
New-tral

PostPost by: gerrym » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:07 pm

Paulo,

The Lucas pull and twist headlight switch is used in conjunction with a solenoid operated valve. The Solenoid operated valve switches the vacuum (ie it allows the vacuum pod to communicate to atmosphere=lights up for fail safe or communicate with the vaccum reservoir=lights down for fail safe). Note, the solenoid operated valve should have a filter on the porting to atmosphere to prevent dirt etc getting into vaccum system then non return valve.

Gerry M
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pcosta » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:40 pm

Hi Gerry,
My question was a silly one because the switch is only a electric switch like any other, so it?s independent of the type of mechanism that pops up the lights.

Thank You
Paulo Costa
pcosta
New-tral

PostPost by: jkatthehelm » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:04 pm

Hi, does anyone have a picture of this switch dismantled? Mine is wired correctly but turns the headlamps on when twisted and the sides on when subsequently pulled!
Tx
James
66 Elan fhc, 72 Elan Plus 2S 130/5, 98 Elise 2.0l Duratec
Second Gear

Total Online: