electric window oddity

PostPost by: richardhallett99 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:00 pm

I made the child like error of telling someone how well things were with the Lotus.

Minutes later I drove the Lotus (+2 S 130 4(71)) opening both windows since I had been to the gym - I was hot. They both went down as fast as normal - as I stopped at a set of lights I put the windowns half way up - one at a time.

To summarise - I had opened the windows and then half closed them

I then decided to put the drivers side window down again. Nothing happened - so I tried the other side - again nothing. I then tried to put both windows up - one at a time - Oh - they went up just fine but neither would open again.

It cannot be the motor - both could not possibly go at the same time.
It cannot be the rocker switches for the same reason. What the buggery arse is wrong with the electrics THIS time. I suppose that I drove with the lights on yesterday - yeah, THAT will have thrown something out of kilter.... :shock:

All advice appreciated
richardhallett99
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:05 am

It can be the rocker switches.... well maybe not the switches but a wire come loose from the back of one. Try pushing all back on snug and see what happens.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:41 am

A Lotus CAN hear you, you know, whenever you mention how well things are going :!: :?: :wink:
Sometimes just THINKING it can be enough to 'make' something go wrong... :shock:

I agree. It sounds like a loose connection somewhere. Check all the connections, starting with those you can reach easily!
It could be wire has fallen off the motor(s), but since BOTH windows have the same problem, I imagine the problem is closer to the supply/switch end.

If you get as far as the back of the switches, use a meter/test light to check they are working while you are there...

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:05 am

The live supply to the switches are connected via the brown cable.

For good and bad thoughts on your Lotus - being inside a Faraday cage may help to ensure those thoughts are not overheard.

Brian Clarke
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:13 am

Sorry, the brown cable is for the baby Elan. It is a white/black cable on the +2.

Brian Clarke
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:15 pm

bcmc33 wrote:The live supply to the switches are connected via the brown cable.

For good and bad thoughts on your Lotus - being inside a Faraday cage may help to ensure those thoughts are not overheard.

Brian Clarke

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I love my car, i love my car (on bended knees) :lol:
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:05 pm

ppnelan wrote:Sometimes just THINKING it can be enough to 'make' something go wrong...

Now look what's happened - I went out to start the car and all I got was the starter whizzing away but not engaging :cry:

Good job I had a 'spare' (Elan+2 that is) to use instead :!: :wink:

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Dave-M » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:43 pm

Crap earth in the boot?
Regards
Dave
Dave-M
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: richardhallett99 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:57 pm

Boot earth okay - everything plugged in to the switches okay. The hazards don't work either now...

however whilst doing that I managed to get side-tracked and fixed the boot release catch and the front fog lights!

Windows still don't work though - I have not checked the fuses but assumed that a fuse would not affect just the downward motion of the window?
richardhallett99
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:49 pm

Probably does not apply (both my Elans have been S4DHC's but... on these cars the downward direction is live all the time, whilst the upward direction is via the ignition. Reason: in order to fit the tonneau cover, you need to drop the windows to clip the outside Tenax fastner; no need to use the key.

Gawd know how your +2 was wired originally, and by now it's probably different anyway. :twisted:

Cheers,
Pete.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: