+ 0r - earth?

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:47 am

Kenny,

I read the Cortina link out of interest and found very comprehensive - and hence simple to do. The only difficult thing as I see it is get the tacho out and back in again.
Where's your sense of adventure? These forums are meant to encourage people to do things, not chicken out.

Brian Clarke
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:11 am

bcmc33 wrote:Kenny,Where's your sense of adventure?

BCM, owning a Lotus IS an adventure :lol: maybe Kenny doesn't want that much excitment :lol: but I agree,go for it ......so you mess it up :cry: you can then send it in to the pro's........all it costs is money :shock:

I need to edit this post!....Kenny has had two Caterhams so maybe hes had TOO much excitment :lol:
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: kenny » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:51 am

Just had a quick sulk :wink: I'm going to have a dabble at this. I served my time as a toolmaker and I'm not scared of metal and nuts and bolts etc., but me and soldering irons don't mix :oops:

Seriously I know what I am going to do and as stated if I make a b@lls I can confer :wink:

Topic closed.......................right next problem :wink:
kenny
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:13 am

Frank Howard said:

The first thing I noticed when I converted to an alternator was that the window speed doubled. And that was before I installed relays and 14 gauge wire for them!

Frank,

I am interested in knowing how and where did you fit the relays for the windows. Where did you get the power from to feed the 14 gauge wire? My windows have always appeared a little slow, and as I currently have the facia removed, it would be an ideal opportunity to do some rewiring in preparation for next winter's planned work on the doors.

Brian Clarke
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:39 pm

Brian,

I binned the standard Lucas 2 slot fuse box and installed two 8 slot fuse boxes from http://www.waytekwire.com (Part # 46051). One box is always hot and the other is hot when the key is in position I or II. They are mounted adjacent to each other, so they look like one 16 slot box. I went to the junk yard and found that Nissan cars feature nice neat plastic relay boxes that hold 4, 5, 6, 8, or 10 relay sockets. The sockets are interchangable. I picked up an 8 gang model complete with 8 sockets and 8 relays. I fabricated an aluminium bracket that holds the Nissan box and mounted it on the inner fender (wing) where the washer bag usually hangs. Then I mounted the washer bag on the inner edge of the bracket.

The windows require two relays each, one for up and one for down. I ran 14 gauge wire from one of the fuse boxes to each relay and then on to the window motors. The original 16 gauge wire was preserved running it from the switches to the relays rather than to the window motors.

I hope this answers your question.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: