S4 Headlamp flasher

PostPost by: triumphelan » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:15 am

I found a blue/yellow wire off my light switch, whilst investigating an other problem.I thought I was lucky I found it ,I replaced the wire on the obvious terminal on the light switch and the headlamps started to blink just like indicators,when I switched the lights on they stopped.With the blue/yellow wire disconnected all the lighting functions worked as they should .Looking at the S4 wireing diagram it shows this wire going to "headlamp flasher relay" .I dont have this function ,should I ??How should this work ??
Regards John 1969S4DHC
triumphelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: MintSprint » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:30 am

It sounds as though everything is functioning correctly when you reconnect the wire.

If you raise the headlamp pods with the lights switched off, they should automatically start flashing as you described, triggered by microswitches fitted to the headlamp. They should continue flashing until you either switch the lights on or lower the headlamp pods again.

Lots of people disable the flasher function, though, either because they prefer to be able to run with the lights raised, but off, or, more commonly, because of a fault with the microswitches.
Last edited by MintSprint on Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
MintSprint
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:31 am

Mine hasn't worked for years as I think I disconnected it.
As I recall the headlights would start to flash if they were raised without being turned on.
The moment the lights were turned on they worked normally. This, apparently, was a useful way of letting other traffic know you were overtaking. (!).
These days in this part of the world merely overtaking at legal speeds can get raised fingers and shaken fists from all the sheep crawling along 20k under the limit. Flashing lights as well would have them all reaching for their phones to dob you in to the local police.

Ralph.
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:57 am

I have a feeling they were deemed illegal in partsof the world. Mine was disconnected when I bought the car..
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MintSprint » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:14 am

I'm told that they are, in fact, illegal in the UK, strictly speaking.

Just remember not to raise your lights with a police car coming in the other direction unless you switch them on first!
MintSprint
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:20 am

According to the late Graham Arnold the flasher system is illegal in the U.K.but mine work and I have had no problems with M.O.T's
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: