Windscreen wipers

PostPost by: chrishewett » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:50 am

I have noticed that the windscreen wipers on some +2s park on the passenger side. Mine park on the drivers side which is annoying. Why is there a difference and is it possible to change it?
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Tintin » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:27 am

I have noticed that the windscreen wipers on some +2s park on the passenger side. Mine park on the drivers side which is annoying. Why is there a difference and is it possible to change it?
Chris

Take a look at how they work, it's a very simple design: The wiper motor acts on a gearwheel which acts as a crankshaft for a rod arrangement. The rod pulls and pushes a "threaded" wire which engages with gearwheels on the bottom of the wiper spindles. The crankshaft-rod arrangement gives an oscillating motion which the the wiper gearwheels convert into a reciprocating "partial rotation".

The parking position depends on the actual stopping position of the motor and the wiper arms must be placed on the spindles accordingly. The easiest solution would be to swap the wiper blades to the other side and invert the direction of rotation of the motor. Maybe the stopping position can be changed to.

My wiper motor currently resides on the workbench and I'm going to test it this weekend so if nobody else has a better answer maybe I can tell you the secrets on saturday evening.

Tim
--
1964 Norton Atlas - 1974 Lotus 130/5
Parts falling of these vehicles are of the
finest british craftsmenship
Tintin
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:53 pm

Chris,

I had the same problem, except I'm in America and while the steering wheel is on the left, the wipers parked on the left also. I suppose we could trade cars and then switch the steering wheels and pedals, but a much easier method would be to switch the side that the wipers park at.

There are two styles of wiper motor and they are both reversable. I have the later style and I presume that you do also. When you take the motor and gearbox apart, you will find a large plastic wheel that is pressed into a metal wheel. Take this wheel out and turn it 180 degrees before reinstalling it. That will cause your wipers to park on the left, rather than on the right.

The wiper arms may be bent in one direction and you may want to change this. Put the arm in a vise and pull gently, no heat needed. The arm will bend the other way and will not break if you are careful. Good luck.

Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: chrishewett » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:35 pm

Many thanks to you both. Looks like another job looms!
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: