Hi Jason,

Is that ?149 for a pair?

Hopefully,

Si
Si_130/5
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: kenny » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:17 pm

I enquired too yesterday and was advised they were to be ?175 each, and I'd assume that to be plus VAT.
kenny
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Si_130/5 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:49 pm

So ?411.25 the pair incl vat. :shock:

How much would it cost to fill and chrome old ones?

Si
Si_130/5
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: kenny » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:54 pm

After seeing that yesterday I'm wondering the same. I got 2 sets with my +2 project, one set were mint which I've fitted and the other set complete and reasonable but slight pitting...........I think I'll try to get a price for re-furb now.
kenny
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:32 am

Hi

I understood it to be ?149 +VAT each. I asked the guy if they are to be made from Mazak? He shrugged his shoulders and said 'suppose so'.

I do not know how much it would be to re-plate and repair an old pair? I understand from the forum that it is not cheap :(

Have you guys seen the plating on the Spyder cars? For that sort of money I would want A1 chrome!!

I don't mind paying the money for top quality parts as hopefully they will last another 30+ years, but if these side lights are going to pit within a year like all the other shocking quality chrome work I have bought in the past then I may as well get the old ones re-plated. Anyone got a price for repair and re-plating???

Cheers

Jason
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: sulzeruk » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:04 am

HI all, I get 1960s Japanese motorcycle parts remanuafactured (mostly rubber items) and the Far East is falling over itself at the moment to get things made for Western Countries. I had a batch of 200 pairs of complex handlebar grips made and that was only ?1200 including 2 sets of tooling. You just need to have the contacts I suppose. Worth thinking about I think!
Al Cowan
sulzeruk
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:11 pm

Several years ago the I attended one of Lotus Ltd's LOG events that was centered at Lime Rock in Connecticut. Ron Hickman was there as our guest of honor. I had quite a good chat with him about the design of the +2 while he was inspecting mine. Ron told me that he had Lucas make the front indicator lamps specifically for the +2. He said in those days Lucas still had not caught one to Lotus' exaggerations regarding quantity and the design and tooling charges were actually very low. If these lamps had another use they would have been after the +2. Ron offered many interesting quips about the design. In his mind's eye he always saw the +2 in red while making his first sketches. He also thought about using round lenses for the tail and brake lamps. He changed his mind fearing that he would be accused to trying to make the +2 a visual copy of the Ferrari Dino. The solution came one morning as he entered a roundabout behind an Alfa Giulia. His best comment was surveying the field of cars and offering that he could not imagine why so many people hung on to these pieces of c%#p!
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SimonH » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:47 pm

Has anyone tried this stuff? Seems to be fairly new to market but I am probably wrong.

http://www.mazakmender.com

Looks like it should make the repair of the front and rear lamp easier if you are planning to rechrome.

Simon
SimonH
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: David » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:59 pm

Hi,

The Mazak Mender looks very interesting! I am tempted to give it a go on my rear lights.

Does anyone know a reasonable chrome plater in the UK?

Another option I thought about was recasting the items in plastic, and finding a company which can do plastic chrome.

Regarding the front lights, I am 99% sure they were originally fitted to a small bus, do not remember the name but I do remember seeing one at a show.

David
David
New-tral

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:29 pm

David wrote:Regarding the front lights, I am 99% sure they were originally fitted to a small bus, do not remember the name but I do remember seeing one at a show.

David

Again, not according to Ron Hickman who designed the +2. He specifically states that he had Lucas make them for Lotus. Other uses may have come along later.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:08 pm

I have seen them insitu on a late 50 duple coach.....
dont know what the 'mark' was but it had the curved windows at roof level
I think someone needs to get to malta and take pictures of the bus....

ron has some diferent variations on some of the current stories.......which ones are true is impossible to differentiate.......

just look at the story of the 'black' badge.......

what about the dash being designed by the guy who designed the mosquito fighter bomber

:shock: :? :? :) :D
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pmallinson » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:06 pm

I'm considering having some +2 indicator glass surrounds cast (my nephew is a boss in a foundry and has good contacts). So I'm looking for a piece that i could have a mould made off. It can have most of the chrome missing and be pitted etc it matters not its just as a pattern email me with the price you want (be serious please)

IF you were willing to 'donate' old one you have in a box somewhere I would return it to you once I have found out IF its cost viable to have new ones made and IF I do have new ones made then there is a new set for the 'donater' (if there is such a word ?? :shock: ) FOC. :lol:

Cheers
Peter Mallinson
[email protected]
pmallinson
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:17 pm

Hi Peter...I have one I can donate from a project car. Did you know they were handed...left and right? The difference is very slight, and probably not worth 2 castings. From memory, the sidelight bit points slightly more in one direction than the other. There was only one side available for a long time (until they ran out), so most cars with nos lights have 2 LH or 2 RH...forget which was available.
PM me if you want one (or both) with your address and I'll get them off to you.
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:37 pm

Just as importantly....does anyone have a solution for the seals in between the body and the casing? Other than just leave a gap?

Rich
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:41 pm

richgilb wrote:Just as importantly....does anyone have a solution for the seals in between the body and the casing? Other than just leave a gap?

Rich

The PO on my car appears to have used a self adhesive foam strip attached to the back side of the casing. I think it is just the stuff readily available from a building supply, looking about 1/4" or 3/8" square profile. Formed reasonably well around the tight corners of the casing, with gap at the pointy top. Not a perfect solution for sure, but better than a gap with risk to paint damage. Guess this seal does not have to water tight.

Glad this thread was brought forward; had not thought about mouse pads for the other gasket, which is completely shot on mine. Maybe the mouse pad material would work on both spots if it couldd be cut to fit.

One of mine has the bulb holder for the small bulb changed to the more common bayonet base; thinking this might be a good idea as well if re-building the whole assembly anyway.

HTH
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: