Coil Location in RHD Elan

PostPost by: DJThom » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:10 pm

I'm making great headway on my imported RHD Elan, but am not sure where the coil mounts since there are no existing holes that I can find. I'm in Canada, so don't have access to a RHD car to check. Any pics or descriptions would be great.

Thanks
Darren
DJThom
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:17 pm

:) ... Hi Darren ,
To be complete , your request should have nentionned mod & year ... :wink:
On mine (66' RhD S3 ), the coil is still in its original location , under the weber's & their airbox , next to the brakes & clutch master cyl. , on the inner wheel arche (nearly vertical 10-15 degrees , head looking front )...
But don't know if it's the best place ... for acces & temp.
Christian.
"Old English White" 66' FHC S3
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ianf » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:49 pm

Darren,

Thanks for the excuse to visit the garage. Mine's a 71 sprint and the coil is parallel to the air box (lying down) with the rear of the coil c. 2" from the bulkhead. (sits on top of the pedal box). I read somewhere that coils should mounted vertically but maybe I've confused the manuals!

Ian
ianf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ElliottN » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:16 pm

Darren, as per previous posts the coil was mounted under the carbs - typically angled up towards vertical.

It is however a common move - if configuration permits - to bring it forward of the carbs. Easier access and removes the risk of fuel dripping on the hot coil if you develop a leak in the fuel lines between pump and carbs. This has apparently caused the odd fire in Elans.
Elliott - 70 S4 dhc
ElliottN
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:45 pm

As a previous post noted it was originally mounted on the inside of the fender under the carbs. My car is a RHD 69 S4 SE & I am the original owner. I moved my coil early in the life of the vehicle & mounted it vertically on the drivers side radiator blanking plate. This was a common mod made by many owners due to the risk of fuel dripping from the carbs onto the coil. An Elan does burn.
Keith Marshall
69 S4 SE DHC RHD Original owner
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:12 pm

:? ... Seems to be time for me to change the location of the coil on "Old English White", even after 40 years ...
Christian.
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: