Wiring Help

PostPost by: tonyabacus » Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:44 am

Need help to identify some wiring that relates to the hazard warning system on an S4.

The hazzards work ok and the dash warning light flashes ok, but with hazzrds off the dash warning light only flashes on one side when using the indicators. I traced the fault to a broken wire in some wiring under the steering column.

Connected into the indicator harness behind the crash pad to the left of the steering column are two red wires with what appears to possibly be a resistor (?) in each.

These two wires are commoned into the wire leading to the warning light, each resisted(?) wire is then connected into the two wires that feed from the indicator switch to each of the wires going to the indicators.

Does anyone know if this wire is available as a unit and where it can be obtained, or what the small black object is in each wire, if a resistor what size it is.

Thanks
Tony
tonyabacus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: flyinggellyfish » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:47 pm

I am not familiar with the S4 wiring , but those black 'resistors' may be blocking diodes to prevent back feed of power to the other indicator when you use the left or right indicator . You can test this by seeing if 12v is present on one side of black bit and not on other .
Sorry , best I can offer

Rick
1968 Elan +2 . Now going back together after 18 years , you just can not rush these things .<br>Rick
flyinggellyfish
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: M100 » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:42 pm

Are you sure the black things are not just a bullet connector? Certainly my Sprint (standard) has no diodes for the hazard warning system.

Probably best to ask this on the main Yahoo mail list
Martin
72 Sprint DHC
M100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: khamai » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:09 pm

There's no resistors that I'm aware of, only connections to the relay box (mystery box). You may have a fault with that box.

There's an article in the tech section of the GGLC website and explains how the box works.
<a href='http://www.gglotus.org/ggtech/relaybox/relaybox.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.gglotus.org/ggtech/relaybox/relaybox.htm</a>
Life is more fun behind the wheel of a Lotus!
www.gglotus.org
www.gglotus.org/blog
khamai
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tonyabacus » Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:09 pm

Thanks for all the replies, Rick if I tell you these things are about 3mm square does that sound like a diode?

They are definitely not bullet connectors as the wires that come out of these devices(?) is slipped alongside the bullets for the indicator wiring.

Tony
tonyabacus
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: