Recommended Throw Out Beariing?

PostPost by: EricB » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:50 pm

Getting my Lotus Cortina ready for mounting of the engine once it comes back from the engine builder with the Burton Water Pump conversion. In the mean time, looked at the throw out bearing and I can feel and hear a little resistance to spinning so should change it.

Looked up past comments and the following bearings were recommended:
Timken 1375
FAG 508458
SKF 408504

Just going to check availability with a local bearing supplier but any comments on these choices?

--Eric
EricB
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:20 am

I think you will struggle to find any of these except for people who have some NOS.

i would not get the no name ones that most of the suppliers now sell.

The RHP 6W 1 3/8 ones you can still find stock of. They are around in both new made and old stock. The new made ones look identical to the old stock externally

try the link below they also had FKC 6W 1 3/8 NOS last time I was looking a few years ago

https://www.orinocobearings.co.uk/

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:39 am

Eric wrote: ' I can feel and hear a little resistance to spinning so should change it.'

Its when you cannot feel any resistance when turning the bearing that you should be worried, as it will not have any grease in it. The new old stock ones that I have, all have much resistance to turning, as they are full of grease, and that is how I would expect them to be.

I suspect there is nothing wrong with your old bearing, but don't quote me on that, as I cannot feel it.

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:43 pm

I'm still using the original after nearly 300,000 miles and if it feels gritty, when exposed like now, I wash it in petrol and then run a little engine oil in. I never have clutch trouble beyond the slave cylinder.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: draenog » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:29 am

TTR sell an uprated bearing:

https://www.tonythompsonracing.co.uk/parts/models/elan-s1/clutch-release-bearing-uprated/

What you get appears to be a random NOS branded bearing. The picture shows one made by FBC while the bearing I received (December 2021) was made by FKC.
draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: steve.thomas » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:51 am

I bought an uprated bearing from TTR a couple of years ago which was an RHP item, seemingly NOS. Initially the bearing would not turn, but after discussion with TTR I heated it gently in the oven after which it was very smooth with no play, completely different to the previous bearing which I had fitted from one of the usual UK suppliers.
steve.thomas
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:09 am

I purchased & installed one of these from France on a recommendation elsewhere in the forum. I had a good experience with the company.

https://www.123bearing.eu/bearings-408504FX-SKF

Nick
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: