High pedal effort on replacement clutch

PostPost by: Elanman39 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:36 am

Hi, I was wondering if anyone else has had an issue with a significant increase in clutch pedal effort after fitting a new "standard" spec Helix clutch pressure plate to an Elan (not +2)? I look after a few Elans for customers and on both occasions when I have fitted a new clutch recently have noticed this. Luckily the customers were OK with it but I have a lady customer who needs a clutch and I doubt she will be happy with the heavier pedal. I have spoken to Helix and it sounds as though their "standard" plate is the same as their race/rally plate (both have the same part number) and the diapragm load is about twice that of the original clutch. They are looking into the possibility of making a lighter version but it would help to know if I am the only person who has this issue or if it is something that you have come across before. Am I right in believing that the original B&B pressure plate is no longer available and Helix are the only manufacurer of a replacement?

I appreciate your help. Nick
Elanman39
New-tral

PostPost by: oldelanman » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:26 pm

Am I right in believing that the original B&B pressure plate is no longer available and Helix are the only manufacurer of a replacement?

Try Paul Matty they list both Borg & Beck and Helix ......

https://paulmattysportscars.co.uk/produ ... ch-covers/
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanman39 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:29 pm

Wow, how did I miss that? Thanks! I spoke with them and they are modern replacements made by Firstline under the B&B name. Roy says they exactly replicate the original pedal effort which is exactly what I wanted. Thanks again.
Elanman39
New-tral

Total Online: